TerraLux TLE5 is Great in MiniMag 2xAA if you have a TIR Opitic

LiteSabre

Newly Enlightened
I was very dissappointed when I first received my TerraLux TLE5 LED drop-in kit from Lighthound. It has nothing to do with Lighthound, their service is the best I've come to known. It's just that the design was flawed! The TLE5 was easy to install and the replacement reflector that came with it fist just fine. The problem was its inability to focus the light into a tight spot. This made me very upset since I spent a lot of money on this LED drop-in and it gives me this washed out light pattern with a noticeable donut hole. Needless to say, it stayed in my closet and never seen the light of day or should I say seen the dark. Today I tried to modify my Surefire KL1 head to replace the TIR Optics with a MCR20 reflector. This was a project gone way wrong. I distroyed the bezel trying to open it up and damaged sone resistors and capacitors on the circuit board. The only thing I have that is useful is the TIR Optics. I've always thought that the TIR Optics was made out of GLASS, but to my amazement, it's just clear plastic. Anyhow, the TIR Optics is slightly larger in diameter than the stock MiniMag glass lense. What I did was took 120 grit sand paper and sanded the edge of the TIR down about 1mm and it will fit perfectly in the MiniMag bezel. The only thing that should be of a concern is that the TIR Optics stick right through the MiniMag bezel and protrudes like a bubble on the head. This is not a big deal, but remember that the TIR Optics is just clear plastic so it could get scuff up if not careful.

When installing the TIR Optics, the reflector is not used, you can keep that in the cupboards if you decide to go back to Incandescents.

Things I've noticed:

1. The TIR Optics give the same square beam as in the KL1 head. Of course the beam is focasable unlike the KL1.
2. The square beam shape that is produced (I suspect is the shape of the Luxeon LED emitter). When twisting the focus, you can actually see a magnified profile which I suspect is the LED die. It has a bunch of rectangular shapes making up the square pattern.
3. The beam quality is lightyears ahead of the kit reflector. It's like night and day. The throw is increased and the concentration of the light beam is very useful with little side spill.
4. I did try to use the Nite Ize IQ Switch, and it works, but even on 100%, the light look dimmer than the regular tail cap.
5. If you want to light up a room, candle mode still works with the TLE5, but you won't be able to use the bezel to hold the light up because the TIR Optics is protruding from teh bezel.

I hope all you guys with an extra TIR Optics will find this mod useful. I certainly am happy with it, even though I've destroyed my KL1 bezel.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most current TLE-5 w/ the included reflector won't produce any doughnut hole beam profile, just a not-so-concentrated hotspot with extra wide corona. This configuration is good for general purposes.

Upon another member's recommendation I've tried out the Fraen LP and it works just great with the TLE-5. I find its squarish (and more concentrated) spot beam profile very useful (unlike those on the Inovas) and easy to adapt to. Currently two of my TLE-5-modded MM@gs have the Fraen LPs installed.