Power Outage

WaltH

Enlightened
Just a quick story I think is funny...

Was sitting on the back porch Friday November 23rd with some friends and our power went out around 9:30. One of the guests looks at me and asks if I have a flashlight. I thought my wife was going to explode she was laughing so hard.

Needless to say I pulled out a light for each person (bathroom runs and what-not). A couple M2's, an E2, some AA mags for the younger folks, and my candle lantern hung from the ceiling fan on the porch. The SF's were a big hit.
Had I just broke them out for show and tell I don't imagine they would have been appreciated like they were during the outage.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummm... you carry more flashlights than I do.
shocked.gif

It's funny how people laugh and snicker at the "flashlight guy" until the power goes out.
grin.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
Let me say that not all lights were on my person. Only an E2, and an AAA LE. I had to retrieve the others from the "vault".

mikep

Enlightened
On Thanksgiving at my parent's house, the garbage disposal had stopped working. My dad asked me to take a look at it, so I used my E2 to look down in the grinding chamber. There was some metal shaving that had jammed the rotating part, so I used a wooden spoon to unjam it. I guess the E2 was the most tool-looking object I had used because my mom excitedly declared to the rest of the guests, "Mike fixed it with his flashlight!"
grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
...It's funny how people laugh and snicker at the "flashlight guy" until the power goes out.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT is SOOooo True
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

in a sense my whole 'house' (only an 8x10' shed now) is a giant flashlight; fueled by light from the sun through solar panels, electricity stored in a 3,000 amp-hour(edit: at 12 volts) battery, fed to various incandescent and fluorescent lights, including all the plugged-in rechargeable hand held ones...and it stays on through blackouts too!
cool.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
......... It's funny how people laugh and snicker at the "flashlight guy" until the power goes out.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few months ago, I was visiting a friend while he was doing a building inspection. At one point, a group of us were coming down from the roof, in an internal 5 storey stairway.
Suddenly, the power cut out, leaving us in total darkness. Quick as a flashaholic, I deployed my E2, to sighs of relief all around.

But when we were all safely downstairs, they started to call me a gadget-freak, and even a "Boy Scout".

Ungrateful ? I nearly charged them my battery cost ......

lightlover
rolleyes.gif
blush.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

reminds me of a new device they were (are still?) selling at Jade Mountain, or was it Real Goods, one of those...a pay-telephone-like pay-box for electricity you can install in your guest room/house.. -- the copy reads;
"Now your guests can enjoy all the solar electricity they can afford!"
hey, it's either that, or setup a toll booth in the driveway to charge admission when the grid goes down..
blush.gif
frown.gif
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, I'm bummed. A new police station was just built in our "electricity quadrant." That means that we will NOT be subjected to rolling blackouts, and we'll be the first ones back up when we do lose power. Now how in heck am I supposed to justify my habit? Guess I'd better invest in Li batteries so they don't go bad...