SL JR Luxeon. Unbreakable polycarbonate lens broken?

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Hi all,

I currently own a streamlight JR luxeon. One day i decided to duracoat my steamlight JR luxeon and i simply removed the batteries and tailcap, ductape the polycarbonate lens and then proceed to degrease my JR with Brake Cleaner and then spray on the coating via airbrush. After the application of the coating, i accidently dropped the JR twice on a heater:ohgeez: (i am getting old!). Proceed to baked it at 140F for 2 hours. (the LED and circuitry are in there too)

After all is done, when i removed the ductape, to my horror i found a few cracks on the Unbreakable polycarbonate lens. Any idea what went wrong? Is it the heat, chemicals, or the drop? Any theories would be nice too. Plus my friend had a JR too and he told me the lens cracked too presumably with normal usage(i didn't personnally witness the aftermath though)
PIC00005.jpg

PIC00001-1.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Marc

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Unbreakable polycarbonate lens broken?

Not sure which of these (or if all of them) did it but, Between the exposure to the cleaning fluid, the fumes from the paint, the drop, and the baking, I'm not surprised the window suffered damage. Sorry. :(

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Re: Unbreakable polycarbonate lens broken?

:( Weird thing is my friend cracked his too... Maybe its not so "Unbreakable" as it says.

Did anyone cracked theirs with no appearent reason?

Last edited:
It's the chemical. CDs are also made from polycarbonate. Spray the brake cleaner on a CDr and see what happens.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahaha....

I just HAD to read this ;)

Atom has a unique reputation of being able to break just about ANYTHING. Period. Luckily he came up with a way to re-coat the lights :p

You could get a good job stress-testing stuff. If it survives you, it will survive ANYTHING :p

Reminds me of a colleague.. he got a rep for being able to blow up whatever electronics he laid his hands on. Bad thing - he was working in IT :D

AtomSphere

Enlightened
:laughing:

My reputation is tarnish if i ever convert to a shelf queen spectator.

AtomSphere, AKA, Flashlight killer. With a grin while doing it:grin2:

How is your colleague going to survive in a occupation that needs him/her to fix things but he/she prefers to blow it up?:laughing:

KevinL said:
Hahaha....

I just HAD to read this ;)

Atom has a unique reputation of being able to break just about ANYTHING. Period. Luckily he came up with a way to re-coat the lights :p

You could get a good job stress-testing stuff. If it survives you, it will survive ANYTHING :p

Reminds me of a colleague.. he got a rep for being able to blow up whatever electronics he laid his hands on. Bad thing - he was working in IT :D

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone knows if the degreaser will affect rubber or silicone parts of a flashlight like the buttons? I was thinking of sending my bare Al modified LionCub to him to DuraCoat (DC) but am now having second thoughts with regards to his 'flashlight killer' rep! :sweat: And instead of DC'ing my flashlight he might DC it (Destroyed Completely)! :eek: :drool:

Anyone else has good track experience or is a qualified DuraCoater here? :D

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Promise I'll be gentle :D

Seriously, I also want to know the answer. I'll duracoat more stuff just to get myself firmilar with the proceedure.

Last edited:

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
Definitely the brake cleaner. Try isopropyl alcohol or vm&p naptha, fed. spec. thinner TT-N-95a type 2 if you can get it.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be-careful even with isopropyl alcohol. It can make acryic crack and fall apart. It should be safe for most other plastics though. I'd just diss-asemble the light next time... It's not hard at all.. just inscrew and dump out the stuff...

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certain Chemical solvents DESTROY/FRY polycarbnate instantly. Certain aromatic hydrocarbons. Metyl Ethyl ketone or Xylene or Methylene Chloride. Nothing is indestructable...:thumbsdow

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Not easy.... THe SL JR Luxeon's lens is there permenantly. I can't just unscrew it out. Thats why it has to go along in the ride to chemical hell.

IsaacHayes said:
Be-careful even with isopropyl alcohol. It can make acryic crack and fall apart. It should be safe for most other plastics though. I'd just diss-asemble the light next time... It's not hard at all.. just inscrew and dump out the stuff...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
AtomSphere said:
:laughing:

My reputation is tarnish if i ever convert to a shelf queen spectator.

AtomSphere, AKA, Flashlight killer. With a grin while doing it:grin2:

How is your colleague going to survive in a occupation that needs him/her to fix things but he/she prefers to blow it up?:laughing:

:D :D

I remember your beat up C3 and various Turboheads.. yes you would slaughter a SRTH so maybe it is better you don't have one :D

Last I heard, my colleague changed jobs too :naughty: