What SF does the Ultrastinger compare to?

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
In terms of brightness, how bright is the Ultrastinger compared to SureFire models? I have most of them (M2, M3, M4, M6 and 10X). Which light would it compare to and which bulb would that light be using (low or high output)? Thanks

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
glad to hear u got both the 10X, M4 and M6.

How do u compare the beam of M4 with M6, M4 and the Ultrastinger and M6 with 10X.

I find the M4 not much brighter than the M3. Why?

I am also particularly interested in the brightness and beam size of M6 and 10X - from the receiving end this time. Any Photo?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Are you comparing the M4 to the M3 or the M3T?

The M4 produces are far more intense beam at longer range compared to the M3 with it's tiny reflector.

What were the conditions of your comparision?

Al

JB

Enlightened
Aaron...

The UltraStinger uses a 10W bulb and I think it outputs 150-something lumens.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That would suggest it's between the MN15 & MN16 lamps in terms of which SureFire's it's most like.

You would have to change the focus of the UltraS to match the SureFire beam, and then compare the brightness/whiteness/brilliance/colour temperature etc.

I want to compare the UltraS focused tight to the 9NT.

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
In terms of brightness, how bright is the Ultrastinger compared to SureFire models?...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can compare it to the 9P with P91 (200 lumens) and the M6 (500 Lumens).

As Size 15s points out, direct comparisons are difficult unless you match beam diameters. Even though the M6 puts out an impressive "wall of light", my US at tight focus has a significantly longer throw.

When you say "brightness", do you mean the total "amount" of light (lumens), or the projection distance, or some combination?

BN

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have 9NT and M4 but 9AN, M3, M6 and 10X. UltraStinger throw farther than 9AN, M3 and 10X clearly. However, I could not be able to *decide* if US is really brighter than M6 in long range. For my eyes, it *seems* like US throw a more distance than M6 but it might be illusion as its dimmer periperal light might make US *looks* brighter.

I also asked a friend of mine to see if US throw farther than M6 by throwing both light on the wall of a building very far away. She told me right away that US is brighter. After I explained to her that if it is possible that she felt so is because of bigger bright area with diffused periperal light of M6, she looked at both beam carefully for awhile again and could not decide if US is *really* brighter for longer range.

I think the best bet to test is to put a sign with words on a distant wall and use binocular to see if those words could be read on different lights.

Alan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
...For my eyes, it *seems* like US throw a more distance than M6 but it might be illusion as its dimmer periperal light might make US *looks* brighter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine a turbo head M6!

BN

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, I would judge my US to be very close in output to my D3 w/turbohead & N2 lamp. In fact, it even looks like a mini Ultra Stinger (in size only) TX