Surefire E2L vs. Surefire L4

h2xblive

Enlightened
Since I've decided on the Arc-P AAA as my keychain light instead of the CR2 Ion (or UK AAA), I decided to carry two flashlights. I thought my second flashlight should be either the Surefire E2L (LED) or the L4. For EDC, which of the two do you guys recommend? I would expect to use either the E2L or the L4 for blackouts, a tire change, or the like. I can't imagine needing 100 Lumens, but the L4 is smaller and if I don't need that much light, I suppose that's what my Arc-P AAA would be used for.

Thanks ahead

carrot

Flashaholic
Get the E2L and an F04 beamshaper. The F04 beamshaper makes the E2L very similar to the L4 in terms of floodiness.

Or get an L2...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of the F04, is there any flip up beamshaper for the E2L?

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just being curious, why did you choose the ARc over the CR ION?

marxs

Enlightened
I would pick the L4 for your reasons specified. unless you really need to see distant objects, the L4 should be just what your looking for. you could also go the L2 way, a little bit longer but now you have two levels of light, low (which would probably be what your looking for) plus a high output of 100.

h2xblive

Enlightened
lrp said:
Just being curious, why did you choose the ARc over the CR ION?

I'd rather carry a low power and high power EDC light rather than just one light on my keychain.

Also, I know how much abuse things on a keychain can go through. I just can't put something that costs over $150 on my keychain - I just can't.

h2xblive

Enlightened
marxs said:
I would pick the L4 for your reasons specified. unless you really need to see distant objects, the L4 should be just what your looking for. you could also go the L2 way, a little bit longer but now you have two levels of light, low (which would probably be what your looking for) plus a high output of 100.

The L2 is out of the question because of its size...unless most of you think the size differential between the L2 and the L4/E2L is negligible.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get both. If you can't or don't want to right now, I'd get the E2L with the F04 beamshaper. That way you can have throw or flood when you want it.

carrot

Flashaholic
The L2 is only an inch longer than the L4, according to the Surefire 2006 catalog... I do not find it unwieldy to carry.

a99raptors

Enlightened
I don't carry my L2 anymore because of the size. I carry my L4 now and I think it is a great indoor light, but for outdoors, I think the E2L's throw would be very useful.

marxs

Enlightened
if the L2 seems to long, then the L4 is perfect. you can also add a mce2s if you want the dual mode function as well.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Note that the E2L's regulated Runtime is about TWICE the L4's. So, unless you'll always be totin' extra batteries, the E2L has this key advantage for emergency uses.

I EDC mine in my left-front Dockers pocket where it rides in a soft eye-glasses case or a modified .38 snubby nylon holster.

The E2L is especially useful as a back-up when out for night walks, and I've lost count of the spur-of-the-moment/semi-emergency outside tasks where its Throw was a big plus. Its tight beam also has enough "punch" to work in a dimly-lit parking lot where the ambient light tends to "wash out" a more diffused beam like the L4's.

downunder

Newly Enlightened
As another alternative to consider, I have a KL1 head, which I understand is the same as the E2L, on a Vital Gear FB3 body. I find it carries better than a E2L in a normal shirt pocket (well at least better than my old E2e). The E2L hangs in a shirt pocket whereas the FB3 longer body is actually shirt pocket length and carries better. I also get the added benefit of longer run time compared to the E2L and massively longer compared to the L4. This is one case where longer is actually better in my opinion.

h2xblive

Enlightened
Thanks for your input guys. I think I'll get the E2L because of it's price, size, runtime, and throw.

wotblake

Newly Enlightened
I would buy the E1L and L4.

That way you'll have 4 flashlights. A 1&2 cell KL1 flashlight and a 1&2 cell KL4 flashlight.

E1L
E2L
L4
TW4(1 cell KL4)

KAM

Newly Enlightened
F04 flood is not even close to the L4

If you want throw dont get a LED light

I suggest that you get the L4, flood is much more useful than throw for everyday tasks, if you need throw you could pick up a G2

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
E2L is throw, L4 is flood

E2L with F04 is flood, without it is throw. L4 is always flood. The E2L gets my vote. If I want a light with lots of output I go to incand. I can't justify paying $165 for a light with marginally more output than a P60 light and half the throw, with slightly more run time. LEDs from what I've seen are not much more efficient at the higher output levels. The sweet spot to me is right about 30 lumens where the E2L has half the output of a P60 but 3x the run-time. The L4 has marginally more output and marginally more run time than a P60. I just don't see the point. Thats just my opinion anyway. To me the E2L is a much more versatile light. Its very efficient and will run a long time. You can either have lots of throw or lots of flood.

h2xblive

Enlightened
I've already got a Surefire G2, although it's not something I carry every day.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
wotblake said:
I would buy the E1L and L4.

That way you'll have 4 flashlights. A 1&2 cell KL1 flashlight and a 1&2 cell KL4 flashlight.

E1L
E2L
L4
TW4(1 cell KL4)

Nice combos for a variety of situations.