MagLED AA - not enough spill?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used my MagLED AA to search for something in a dark storage unit today and I realized that there's so little useful sidespill that I had to keep waving it left and right to illuminate a useful amount of floorspace. After awhile the constant waving of the spot started to give me a headache and I had to go outside and rest my eyes for a moment before continuing.

Anyone else have this problem with their MagLED AA?

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
No. All 3 of mine will focus to the point where the beam is nearly all flood with little or no spot.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
Photonwrangler, I was just in a similar situation, looking for stuff in my basement when the lights went out. I pulled out the mmag led 2aa and the beam profile just wasn't wide enough to be useful. I had to get my inova X1 to finish the job.

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
I know what you mean. That's the only think I dont like about it. I really prefer wider beams (spot and spill), and i like my nite-ize minimag or SMJLED in cheapie host better for indoor usage.

fireboltr

Enlightened
my magled 2aa is in the glove box of the car for about that same reason dont get me wrong it is a great light when you need some throw and good runtime but i find myself reaching more and more for the fenix l2p as it is very usefull an that arena

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just compared it to my QIII on a wall. The QIII has a slightly wider spill but the spill is considerably brighter than that of the MagLED, and that's with the Mag adjusted to maximum flood.

Bright

Newly Enlightened
A Surefire F04 Beam Diffuser fits the old M@g 2AA. With a Terralux LED it gives a very smooth beam with no real hot spot and very soft edges. At 10 feet this combination has a spill slightly larger than a Surefire U2, although with much softer edges.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The MalgLED2AA is one of the most narrow spillbeams among my lights. When focused for throw, the light only covers about a 40 degree arc - even at flood, you only get about a 55 degree arc. Compare that a Fenix L2T or similar light, which gets more like 75 degrees at all times.
The MagLED2AA spillbeam is also dimmer than my other 2AA luxeon lights - closer to a 1AA light actually. For that reason, I don't like it for up-close tasks - it's really designed to be thrower for distance.

Streak

Enlightened
Did side by side tests of the L2T and the Magled 2AA.
Yes the Magled does have a much tighter beam regardless of the focus setting.
It does appear to have more throw than the L2T but on the counter side less spill.

Tesla

Enlightened
Hasn't been a problem for me with the two 2AA models I have, but as previous poster said, candle mode would give more coverage for really close work.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
I noticed the same thing with my 2AA minimag LED. I did a side by side test between it and my River Rock 2AAA, and I liked my River Rock so much better because it's beam was so much wider, even though not quite as bright. And since the MM cost 2.5 times more, I decided to return it and buy another RR2AAA in it's place. Now I'm happy!

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
It's irrelevant to me. I am no longer carrying my month-old 2AA MiniMagLED because something's wrong with it, and it flickers off when it should be on.

(I started a thread about it, actually, and others chimed in with the same problem. Someone said that positive battery contact corrodes easily inside the flashlight. This should not be so. I'm sorry, I waited too damned long for Mag to make LED flashlights to be this disappointed this quickly. A flashlight that never gets used because it's malfunctioning produces ZERO useful sidespill. :mad: )

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought my 3AA had a wide spill (when focused on flood) until I put my tl3 (incan with stock bulb) next to it. Even with the tl3 focused on spot, it had a way bigger sidespill than the Mmag3AA. That being said, I still like using it, it is nothing like my old inova t4 or 5 with their laser like beams.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Incans have almost a 360 degree emission pattern, leds like luxeons are closer to 170 degrees.

What does this mean?
- An incan will focus more of its light into the spot so does not need a deep reflector, ie more spill
- an incan's spill will be less bright when compared to an equivalent output led.
- to get decent throw in a led you need a deep reflector
- a deep reflecor gives less spill.

Its a trade off. If you want more spill in a led then prepare to sacrifice throw or use a much larger shallow reflector.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone figured out how change the reflector? I gather that the heads aren't compatible.

The SO17 provides very nice spill...as does the NX05 optic....so It might be a mod worth trying.