Can an iMac run Windows ??

Perfectionist

Enlightened
I'm lovin the sleek all-in-one IMac's ..... but want to use MS Office and play PC Games ......

I'm guessing it shouldn't be too difficult to partition the Hard Disk and install XP ..... but would the latest iMacs be able to run the latest games ??

Would things like the Mighty Mouse and iSight Camera work properly if running XP ??

Has anybody done this here ??

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.

You need to use Apple Boot Camp.

http://www.apple.com/bootcamp

They have Intel GMA950 graphics, which arent top notch, but not too bad.

Make sure you get at least 1gb RAM, preferably 1.5GB.

--neg

Last edited:

GeoffChan

Enlightened
Core 2 duo Macbook Pros!!!!

Microsoft Office for mac might be due in 2007 as they're migrating their code from Classic to universal binaries

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
despite middle of the road graphics chip performance they run windows really well. Might want to get an external drive to load it on though as the default disks internally dont tend to be that huge that you could partition it and not miss the space later. External firewire drives are fast and cheap ;)

Playing 3D graphics games there is no substitute for just booting to windows, but if you need to run programs that are a little less demanding there are several ways now to boot windows in parallel. One excellent one called parallels which hosts windows and gets excellent reviews and there is another one that I think is freeware that also people say functions well and lastly there is a first port of WINE to the Mac now so that you can run many windows programs without booting windows at all.

As soon as this last months paycheck comes in the mail I will have just about saved up enough for a new MacBook Pro :D I actually have some windows programing projects coming up in the next year so it will be nice to be able to test my cross compiles (yes I develop on the mac and compile for windows, how cool is that? ;) ) without having to buy a new Dell or something.