Have we become too dependent on flashlights?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed over the last several years as my flashaholism has gotten more advanced that I seem to be rather dependent on flashlights in general. 10-15 years ago, I wouldn't mind midnight trips to the bathroom or kitchen without a flashlight. That also goes for other tasks like taking out the garbage at night. I feel as if I'm maybe too dependent on flashlights at times. After all, most of my friends don't EDC even one light, let alone three, and they seem to get along just fine. I'm not looking to ditch any of my lights or decrease the number I carry with me, but it's just something I've noticed.
What about you guys?

havand

Enlightened
Somewhat. I use it it because I want to. I don't NEED to. Walking in from the car last night, i didn't turn my light on. It was plenty bright out and very pretty and I just decided I'd rather make the walk without it. I can almost always 'see' when I use my light. I just use it because, well, I want to use it/ it makes the task easier.:)

bitslammer

Enlightened
I thought about this as well, but in my case usually having one of my 1 cell 123or AA lights in my pocket means I was able to do something that may have normally called for turning a light fixture on. Using the flashlight in my opinion save me from having to turn on a light and burning my night vision and also being exposed to brighter light which for me can cause me to stay awake later from not being tired.

A couple years ago I made sure every room was outfitted with some type of low light fixture like a nightlight or small table lamp. Recently I converted all of those to 120V/AC LED bulbs. Where I don't have those the EDC comes in. I've observed a noticeable increase in my ability to go to bed early if I choose and fall asleep quicker if I avoid bright light 2-4 hours before retiring. For that I'm hapy to use a small LED EDC light.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do all kinds of things now with a flashlight that I would have done in the dark years ago. I would still do these things if I didn't have a flashlight on me, so I can't say that I'm "too dependent on flashlights". In other words, if the tool is convenient I will use it, but if it isn't I will still accomplish the task.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I know exactly what you mean, Big Ed. While I've accumulated for many years, it was CPF that got me to carrying one most of the time. I wouldn't say I've become too dependent though. In the past I would simply flip a light switch a bit more often, where now I'll twist or click. It's more fun now.

Geoff

zapper

Enlightened
Just a progression. We could still make do with walking or using a bike for a lot of things but we use a vehicle instead. I could use my fingernail to do some light scraping and streangth to open boxes but a knife is easier. I can still do many things without a light like others have said but again, easier to do with a light.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
just like donut holes everybody else outside of cpf probably dont even notice but us with 3 differnt surefire compare it to do. my dad never noticed his donut on his l2 tell i compared it to my perfect u2. thats why i hate it when people complian about donuts in surefires and i say compare them to a mini-mag. i think that people that really use there lights like military and police and emt/ems paramedics dont care.

so my answer yes we do depend on our lights to much but heck we have them, we paid the money, and we only live once so go ahaid and use the heck out of them!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stubbing your toe or toes in the dark loses its entertainment value when you get more years on you. I use my arc AAA at night on my walker. The walker does reduce the # of toe strikes, but at the expense of most furniture corners. Having some light out front saves wear and tear on my furniture and my toes. I have my G2 W p61 and fresh batteries in the headboard of my bed and is reserved just for break-ins. I have flashlights in every room of my house that is used frequently. TVA is not the most dependable source of electricity.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think so. Having a few lights on me enhances my recreation. I just recently hiked up and down Half Dome in Yosemite and the last hour and a half was in the dark. It would not have been quite as enjoyable if I didn't have a light (make that 3) on me and had to hustle down the trail when dead tired to avoid darkness.

I enjoy my lights and am a gearhead and geek at heart. I used to hike with a 2D Maglight in my pack before the Minimag made EDC practical. I don't worry about it getting dark as much and enjoy my activities more as a consequence. So I guess that makes me codependant on my flashlights. I always have one on me. I have a Arc AAA in my pocket as I type sitting in my house!

I'm not dependant, I'm free!

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, i loved it when you referred to stubbing your toe on corners as "entertainment" LOL that's great. I remember the last time i was too stupid and i did that, i was both laughing and hurting at the same time.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, I think we just find more and more practical uses for a light (just as one might with any tool) when we carry one on us all the time. There are times when my uses are pure flashaholism such as when I unplug our bathroom nightlight just so I can use my flashlight. :grin2:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A flashlight makes life easier. Kind of like a microwave oven...

I use one for night trips to the can, and it sure helps with aim!

And since all manner of critters can be found on my acreage, I NEVER go outside at night without one!

Otherwise dependent? Nah...

sniper

Enlightened
I like to think I've gotten a bit smarter over the years.

Without flashlight, I nearly tumbled from the top of the bluff to the beach at La Jolla, Ca., was bitten , but not envenomated by a rattlesnake, tripped over a rack of chairs and cracked a rib, crossing a supposedly "open" basketball floor, and had to deal with the aftermath of a high school student's wandering around on a darkened stage, losing orientation, and falling 12 feet into the orchestra pit, causing major injuries.

Yes, I use flashlights, and make them available for members of my family. Dependent? Not hardly, but I was at the theater last week, and felt something fall to the floor. I turned my Inova on, found it, without disturbing anyone around me. Handy little gadgets.

It's just good sense to have one, particularly after midnight, in a deserted parking structure or other location. They can save much pain and anguish.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do all kinds of things now with a flashlight that I would have done in the dark years ago. I would still do these things if I didn't have a flashlight on me, so I can't say that I'm "too dependent on flashlights". In other words, if the tool is convenient I will use it, but if it isn't I will still accomplish the task.

What he said.

I don't *need* lights for many of the tasks I use them for...but they make those tasks several times easier...so why not?

CFU

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may sound counter-intuitive but I think that the experimentation on very dim lights I've been doing for the last ~14 months has actually made it easier for me to see without a flashlight in low light conditions. In forcing myself to pay attention to what was going on with my dim lights I've learned quite a bit about using my eyes in low light that I never noticed before.