Disappointed in my U60 tint

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my brand new HDS U60. This was one of the last in stock at a dealer, but I'm disappointed a light this good has a terrible tint it almost takes away at brightness. My Peak CPF special, K2 kroma, both Fenix P1's, all have better tints in that order than my brand new U60...any comments?

mosport

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your tint disappointment... What's the runtime and output like?

Perhaps your light is a good candidate for a DIY HDS EDC emitter upgrade, there's lots of valuable information in that thread and even a few responses from Henry himself.

HTH,
Derek

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
what color is the tint? can you do any beamshots? The slightly yellow/green tint of my b42xr is more appealing than the colder feeling (but neutral) u60gt I sold.

dchao

Enlightened
HDS has more of the warm tint compare to other lights. Almost all the known emiters from HDS are either from the X1 or W0 bin. They don't give you the immediate wow factor, but the spectrum is much closer to incan, and works much better outdoor (as well as indoor). Unfortunately, SF is still going for the X0/Y0 tint which will yield the highest output.

The down side is on lower power, a warmer LED will shift to green more easily. But Henry's light uses PWM to dim the light, so it should suffer less of the green shift.

Last edited:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mosport, thanks for the tip, I'll probably give it a try. Runtime is perfect and functions are perfect. Just the tint too purple.

Pumaman, the tint is too purple. All the other 4 Lux III's in the other lights are better. Can't do beamshots it'll probably be irrelevant here.

dchao, this Lux III in the HDS is nowhere near incan. I'd estimate color temperature above 8000K.

dchao

Enlightened
LED61 - But many people, including myself find warmer tint works best outdoor. Nop, today, there is noway LED can match the spectrum of an incan light :)

Sorry to hear that you got a purple tint HDS. Changing out the emitter is probably your best bet. I also got my U60 a few days ago, mine has a X1 tint.

Last edited: