• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Need Batwing Suggestions.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
I have a direct drive AAA headlamp that will fit Luxeon stars. Right now it has a 1 Watt White Luxeon Batwing Star in it. What would be a good up grade for max light output. Curently I'd get about 4 hours ligh out of it but I don't mine if that drops to just 1:30 hour or so. I may get Nihd batteries if needed but most likely will use lithium or alkiline AAA's. I for sure want a BAT Wing star.

I also have a AAA headlamp that has regulation that I think is low 350ma and high 500ma(but may be 700), what would be a good white batt wing star(hexagon if possible) for it. Moneys not an object I just don't want to pay for something that my AAA's wont be able to take advantage of.

Also I know this is a hard(relative) question but how does cyan look for color temp, I had a Batwing that was either a tad blue or cyan I couldn't tell but it was a very nice for searching color and easy on the eyes. I noticed the cyan dosen't drop in lumens but don't know how it would do for looking around say in a attic.

I'm looking to upgrade from my curent 1 watt stars with in the voltage and currents I listed above. They need to be batwing and pref Hexagon, I don't want warm white, I'd prefer white or a tad bit cooler. Thanks David.

Now I realize side emmiting stars may be ok, I'm just not looking for long throw, are the side emmiter replaceing batwing or are they just more flood where the bat wing is in the middle.

Last edited:

mahoney

Enlightened
Short version of the difference between batwing and side-emitter light distribution. The side emitter just sends light out the side of the emitter. The batwing sends light mostly to the side but also sends some out the top of the emitter. Which will work better in your headlamp will depend on the shape of the reflector. If a batwing works well in it, stick with a batwing, otherwise you'll have to experiment. I would suggest a XO or YO color bin, in the highest flux batwing you can find. What bin star is in there now? It might not be worth changing out if it's a good bin