Car window motor switch Full Open/Close

Lucero

Enlightened
Hey -

My Chevy Tahoe has power windows and sunroof. Only the driver's door window and the sunroof can be completely lowered with one touch. To close either, the button must be pressed and held until completely closed

I'd like to modify the sunroof switch to completely close on one touch.

Has anyone performed this modification? Do I exchange the switch, or some other component...?..? Some cars have this functionality straight from the factory. The MBZ switches will completely open and completely close all windows and the sunroof.

Thanks in advance,

Lucero

VWTim

Enlightened
It depends on the setup from the factory. Some cars have this inside the switch, while others use an outboard relay box. There are aftermarket one touch up/down kits available. I have one waiting to interface with my car alarm, but never got around to installing it.

JackBlades

Enlightened
My new Silverado slams the windows shut with authority. I'm not sure I'd want auto-close. (For safety reasons) I'm just now getting used to the sensitivty of the switches so I don't have to abruptly reverse the window to get it to stop!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think the newer cars, like my '06 Civic, have sensors to detect the resistance of objects like fingers and arms and reverse their direction. Probably a good thing for windows with auto close. Wouldn't be surprised if those sensors are now required by law.

Geoff

Lucero

Enlightened
JackBlades said:
My new Silverado slams the windows shut with authority. I'm not sure I'd want auto-close. (For safety reasons) I'm just now getting used to the sensitivty of the switches so I don't have to abruptly reverse the window to get it to stop!

So.... should I be looking at the 2007 model year for that part? I'll go to the dealer and check it out.
I don't have a reason to be concerned with safety. haHAA. No, really. I don't foresee a valet or a date crushing her fingers.

Lucero

Enlightened
VWTim said:
It depends on the setup from the factory. Some cars have this inside the switch, while others use an outboard relay box. There are aftermarket one touch up/down kits available. I have one waiting to interface with my car alarm, but never got around to installing it.

I'll check with the local car audio / security shops and of course... online.

Lucero

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
I think the newer cars, like my '06 Civic, have sensors to detect the resistance of objects like fingers and arms and reverse their direction. Probably a good thing for windows with auto close. Wouldn't be surprised if those sensors are now required by law.
Geoff

Some of the best product features are mandated by the lawyers, eh? I think you're right. I'm not totally ignoring the safety aspect... I just want the switch to open/close so I can continue my cell phone conversation. haHAA.

VWTim

Enlightened
Which reminds me of VW/Audi's window circuits. In the newer cars almost everything is ran thru the ECU. They do have sensors in the windows, and if something get caught in a roll up situation, the one touch up/down mode is suspended until a code can be cleared.

Not sure on the reason for this, but figured I'd share some useless knowledge I've got.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
What year Tahoe? I know the 2003 up since I have a 2004 truck and the window up and down are controlled by a computer in each door which communicate via the class II data bus.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eugene said:
What year Tahoe? I know the 2003 up since I have a 2004 truck and the window up and down are controlled by a computer in each door which communicate via the class II data bus.

As Eugene said, The switches themselves don't have that ability. The switches are part of the DDM (drivers door module), that DDM communicates with the BCM (body contrtol module) to activate the window motors. All other door switches communicate to the DDM first then to the BCM.

What your asking is possible, but finding a tech that is willing to go through the trouble of obtaining the needed TIS codes to program the BCM is going to be very hard. The proper programming and codes can only come from GM and most dealers will not even try (most will be clueless and deny it is possible)

Lucero

Enlightened
:touche:Now, you've done it. Fuel on the fire.

Morelite said:
As Eugene said, The switches themselves don't have that ability. The switches are part of the DDM (drivers door module), that DDM communicates with the BCM (body contrtol module) to activate the window motors. All other door switches communicate to the DDM first then to the BCM.

What your asking is possible, but finding a tech that is willing to go through the trouble of obtaining the needed TIS codes to program the BCM is going to be very hard. The proper programming and codes can only come from GM and most dealers will not even try (most will be clueless and deny it is possible)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eugene said:

Now I know why my brother-in-law about $hit when they told him they wanted 300 bucks for a measly switch.

Give me a crank anyday. Good exercise. :)

Eight

Newly Enlightened
You can buy a module made by DEI (they make car alarms). The unit is model # 530T. This will add auto roll up and down (or open/close) to 2 windows. I use them in all my vehicles. The units also detect resistance, so anything in the way of rolling the window up, such as a hand, will cause the automation feature to stop.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This got me thinking again, on my 05 RAM the only auto windo switch i have is for the drivers window. I wanted to replace the switch on my door the controlls the passanger window with an auto down switch. I can pull mu switch backward to roll down the window, of i can pull it back all the way untill it clicks for auto, since the other switches ddont click, hence they dont say auto on them either...I am hoping its plug and play, but thats of course they are not $50 a pop either. I am saving some cash for the remote start system. Here is anotherthing i was thinking about i was going to buy the OEM starter system on line then bring it to my dealer to put it in, now keep in mind i have good service people, they will pick me or my truck up from my house or from work, i can wait at the dealer if i want, or they will bring me to work and then drop it off in the parking lot when their done and i go in and pay the next day. Any way i wanted to get the system on line and bring it in to have it installed, i dont think they would have a problem, but my friend said "who fabricates marble and granite countertops and vanitys" said i would'nt do that" by me doing what i wanted to do would be like someone bringing in a piece of marble or someting for them to work on.. Sorry to hi jack, but it just flowed...i am going to ebay those sitches now

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This got me thinking again, on my 05 RAM the only auto windo switch i have is for the drivers window. I wanted to replace the switch on my door the controlls the passanger window with an auto down switch. I can pull mu switch backward to roll down the window, of i can pull it back all the way untill it clicks for auto, since the other switches ddont click, hence they dont say auto on them either...I am hoping its plug and play, but thats of course they are not $50 a pop either. I am saving some cash for the remote start system. Here is anotherthing i was thinking about i was going to buy the OEM starter system on line then bring it to my dealer to put it in, now keep in mind i have good service people, they will pick me or my truck up from my house or from work, i can wait at the dealer if i want, or they will bring me to work and then drop it off in the parking lot when their done and i go in and pay the next day. Any way i wanted to get the system on line and bring it in to have it installed, i dont think they would have a problem, but my friend said "who fabricates marble and granite countertops and vanitys" said i would'nt do that" by me doing what i wanted to do would be like someone bringing in a piece of marble or someting for them to work on.. Sorry to hi jack, but it just flowed...i am going to ebay those sitches now

Lucero

Enlightened
Eight said:
You can buy a module made by DEI (they make car alarms). The unit is model # 530T. This will add auto roll up and down (or open/close) to 2 windows. I use them in all my vehicles. The units also detect resistance, so anything in the way of rolling the window up, such as a hand, will cause the automation feature to stop.

Many thanks, Eight.

"The DEI 530T Window Automation System rolls up two windows automatically when you arm your security system. Also controls venting when armed, and can do a full roll-down when disarmed. Senses obstructions and stops window motors immediately. Also automates factory power switches by providing full window travel by tapping the factory window switch."

This is not my vehicle, but I located a tutorial online for another vehicle. And, clearer pix for another truck.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up said:
Now I know why my brother-in-law about $hit when they told him they wanted 300 bucks for a measly switch.

Give me a crank anyday. Good exercise. :)

They are all like that though. My truck has more computers in it than the county my parents live in.

I'm going to pick up one of the OBD-II adapters one of these days and plug in my laptop and see if something like ethereal (network sniffer) can read the codes being sent around and then playback when I want to. Then I could control the whole think from my on board mp3 computer.