SF U2(@max) & L5 throwing further?

rollee

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for another surefire with better throw than the 'flood' design of the L4.
The variable power control of the U2 does seem appealing, but I doubt I would use any other apart from max.
The L5 has good throw because of the deep reflector design. I notice the U2 and L4 are about the same size, and they use the same LuxV.

I like to save a bit. Anyone here got both? Which throws more? or equivalent? which has a better/whiter/more useful beam shape?

BTW did I hear somewhere that the L5 is being renewed very soon?

marxs

Enlightened
if you want throw your best bet is a well driven LuxIII. for the same size of the U2 i think the 27L throws quite well, or the striker vg (not sure what lux it is though, but on FLR it is a thrower).

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a U2 (yet...). I have found the L5's beam to be a nice balance of useful throw and spill. I like using this light when walking the dog, trekking on trails at night, etc. For my use I've become a huge fan of LuxV's.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
rollee said:
looking for another surefire with better throw than the 'flood' design of the L4...The variable power control of the U2 does seem appealing, but I doubt I would use any other apart from max...
You may be surprised at how useful a variable-output light is. Once having that capability, it becomes so useful it's hard to do without it.

The U2 definitely has more throw than the L4. Whether that's sufficient for you is hard to say. I have a U2 but not L4, but I did have the "poor man's L4", Nuwai TM-301X-5: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x5.htm

To the extent this is representative of the L4 beam pattern, the difference between it and the U2 beam is huge. The Nuwai was a broad pure flood beam, useful only at close range. By contrast the U2 has a floody characteristic at close range, but the hotspot still throws pretty well at longer range.

As already stated, if you want pure throw in an LED light, Lux III-based lights are better. The smaller emitter size relative to the reflector size produces a narrower beam that carries further.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please specify how far you want your light to throw (example: 100 ft., 300 ft., etc.), so our CPF'er's can tell you if the throw will be good for you.