Been eyeing a milkyspit L1

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Everyone,
I've read a few reviews and comparisons on the milkyspit L1. It's looking really good to me so far. however, some of the reviews put it on par with the mclux PD's performance levels. My questions is if the two are on par with performance, and the PD is smaller, is there any reason left to get an L1?

I'm not putting down the L1 or anything like that. I'm genuinly curious as i'm thinking about getting one. I figure that there's just a few things that the L1 outshines in that i dont know about.

Thanks in advance

Sable

Enlightened
I can't answer the whole question (not owning a PD), but the deciding factor for me was price. I may pick up a PD someday, but the ML1 really just grabbed me first, and grabbed my pocketbook less.

Another thing is that milkyspit, as I hear, hand-selects the emitters for truly "outstanding" ones - I am unsure if McGizmo does this, but it seems like the thing he might do, too.

After making some clay mockups for "hand feel," I also decided I kind of liked the L1 better. I work in a lot of cold, wet, horrible weather (Alaskan FTW) and the L1 seemed somewhat easier to operate in adverse conditions.

Now, again, I do not own a PD, although I would love to, and I managed to miss out on the PD Passaround, to my chagrin. Please don't take this as putting down McGizmo or any of his fine, beautiful products.

These are just my thoughts - The ML1 will be my first "serious" light when it arrives. I can't wait! :) As they say - different strokes for different folks, and different tools for different jobs. I felt that the ML1 was a superior tool - in the specific set of circumstances that I often find myself - but the opposite could be true just as easily.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea i read that. i just was curious to get a direct comparison between the ML1 and the PD since they both share similar reflectors and types of emitters.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
The L1 is a 2x123 light, so you get more runtime. You're looking at ~100-120 minutes for the PD (depending on what bin LuxIII you get), and 4.5 hours with the L1 (according to MilkySpit... I don't know if that means to 50% or not).

So, if a long runtime is important to you, go ML-1. As for me, the small size of the PD is perfect for EDC'ing.

As for what Sable said - Don doesn't hand-pick the tints, however, he notes (and I agree) that the luxeon lottery as much of a factor anymore as it used to be - although if you're ultra picky about your tint, then maybe that's not true.

john

alantch

Enlightened
Alin10123, you're right. The L1 and hence the ML-1 is a single cell light but with better overall output in both low and high modes. My best single-cell LED light todate. Sorry but I don't have a PD to do a direct side by side comparison.

More info on the ML-1 by Milky's can be found here

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea i saw that. Many comments on how the L1 is very similar to the usefulness of the PD. That's why i was wondering why one would want to carry an L1 as opposed to a PD when both give out similar light qualities. Once again, not dogging. But there has to be someting that accels more than the PD.

tsl

Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
Yea i read that. i just was curious to get a direct comparison between the ML1 and the PD since they both share similar reflectors and types of emitters.

If I remember correctly, the ML1 uses a McR-18 reflector while the PD uses a McR-20. Not sure how much of a difference that would make ... probably a bit more throw for the PD, but I wonder how noticeable it would be.