What are your favorite search engines?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your favorite search engines and what do you use them for? What engine brought you to CPF?

I've been stuck on Copernic for a long time because it is a multiple engine. Allot of the guys I work with use Google for computer stuff. Last summer I did a search for search engines and I gave up 'cause it gave me a head ache.

Last night I was searching for Nerd's reference to McGizmo's reference (unashamed name drops) to *transparent aluminum* and realized I needed mo' better engines.

The best engine I've found at CPF is B@rt. The problem with B@rt is response time. Sometimes B@rt is 60 seconds or less; sometimes B@rt is two days. The good thing is that B@rt is intuitive. No matter how you describe it,B@rt knows what you are really looking for.

What are your favorite search engines and what do you use them for?

Greta

Flashaholic
I too use the B@rt search engine for all of my .gif needs. Icebreak, I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I've never had to wait two days for my B@rt search. Usually, I have results within seconds... B@rt is just that good!
thumbsup.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Google...and it pays to know how to use a search engine. Learn to use the ""s and ()s and +s and -s...I'm amazed at how people just throw out keywords and expect relavent answers.

Saaby

Flashaholic
bluesigh.gif
sigh...I should be concerned but I'm not. I don't shop for guns. Sure they're censoring other thigns too, I have bigger fish to worry about though...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
YIP YIP YEHAW! Craig posted something else!!!

I'm a creature of habit. My IE Homepages on Google (Used to Yahoo, still use Yahoo mail as a 'blind' email addy) and Google is what I use 'cause I'm also too lazy to change!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Stainless:
Icebreak:
I use Google for general searches, and the new Froogle for shopping.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Froogle is a remarkable new resource that deserves wide recognition. A surprising number of people don't know about it.

Also, Google image is probably the best pic resource.

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned
Originally posted by Saaby:
bluesigh.gif
sigh...I should be concerned but I'm not. I don't shop for guns. Sure they're censoring other thigns too, I have bigger fish to worry about though...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, right.
frown.gif

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

tomsig01.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm:

Thanks for the tip...I've been using "regular' Google for years...and NEVER NOTICED that they had an image subsection!

Stainless

Afterimage

Newly Enlightened
For something a little different, try a graphical search engine out of France. It uses standard engines but organizes the results in an interesting way. I find it useful for some kinds of research.

Kartoo

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Afterimage-

I like spacial thinking...very cool. Reminds me a little of the graphic thesaurus a CPFer showed us.

Saaby-

Would you consider giving a quick tutorial on booleans, wildcards and parameters?

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Well I figured other did, but I use altavista advanced. Being able to use all sorts of booleans and such is nice.

title:flashlight AND NOT mag-lite AND domain:com

smile.gif