Which single CR2 light?

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I am thinking of buying a single CR2 light for my bedside table. I want one that looks good, i am really interested in the titanium lights that are available, at least two levels are a must as is the ability to mount 3 tritium vials on it. All this has led me to a choice between the Orb Raw Ti, the Ti CR2 Ion and a titanium Exolion. What are peoples opinions of these three? Cost is not really an issue, my main priorities are decent low power run time, fit and finish, good flood type beam and small size. Thanks in advance for your help.
Marc

minkling

Newly Enlightened
I keep a Raw on a lanyard on my headboard. I have the 2 stage 1 watt model that doesn't use rechargeable batteries. It is great, when my wife needs a light to check on the kids I just hand it to her on low.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Can not comment on any except the Orb as I do not have the other 2 you mentioned however the Orb lights I do have are simply amazing.

Orb has recently redesigned their smaller bodies with a better tail section for a lanyard as well as more threads on the bezel. I have several including the original style and the new style. I use the newest style Orb Raw the most and for around the house the low level is perfect with that amazing boost of full power handy if you need it. Run time on low is very good at about 8 hours I believe however on high it gets hot quickly and 20 minutes if you are lucky

I have long wanted a Jil light and you may read up on the offerings on this model. There is a direct drive version as well as a circuit controlled version. To me the Jil actually has a very nice look to it but the Orb is just classy looking to me. There are a few excellent players out now and any you have mentioned hould be a good choice.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pic borrowed from Litemania's Kydex thread.
I am waiting for mine.I think a Lux V may fit in there:grin2:
There are a few left in the Jil sales thread

Last edited:

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Can the orb raw use primary cells? I know the 1 watt version will but if i swap the emitter for a H vF lux 3 will it run ok?
Marc

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ti CR2 Ion and I love it. Very small, very floody beam that is extremely useful at very close range out to a couple of meters, very tough, nice looking and one of my better finished out lights. Regulated 2 stage output and it runs forever on low.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
+1 on the CR2 Ion. I love the low stage for navigating around the house and it runs for many hours on low. High puts out an impressive amount of light and I really like the flood beam for indoors.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
lightsandknives said:
+1 on the CR2 Ion. I love the low stage for navigating around the house and it runs for many hours on low. High puts out an impressive amount of light and I really like the flood beam for indoors.

Put me down as another vote for the CR2 Ion!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the CR2 Ion too. The Orb Raw is my least favorite because it is not regulated, it has very short runtime on high and isn't coated, not even type II anodizing.

I doub't you'll find an Exolion ready to ship out there...

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
marcdilnutt said:
I am thinking of buying a single CR2 light for my bedside table. I want one that looks good, i am really interested in the titanium lights that are available, at least two levels are a must as is the ability to mount 3 tritium vials on it. All this has led me to a choice between the Orb Raw Ti, the Ti CR2 Ion and a titanium Exolion...
I've had both CR2 Ion, Orb Raw, and Raw Ns. Of those by far my favorite is the Raw Ns.

The CR2 Ion was beautifully made, but the beam is absolute pure flood. I found that limiting -- OK for looking at something 2 ft away, but across a dark room the beam became too dim. By contrast the Raw Ns has a somewhat broad but general-purpose beam. There's adequate spill even at low power for close up tasks, but it can throw a spot across a darkened room.

My CR2 Ion required approx 100 degree rotation from a reliable off to a reliable on, and another 180 degree rotation to high. Don't know if that's typical, but it was a lot of twisting. By contrast my Raw Ns requires just about 20 degrees from off to on, and about 100 more degrees to high. A lot less twisting.

The Raw Ns has a nice precision feel. The Nickel Silver alloy is very durable -- it's used in cutlery.

I can't over-emphasize the value of tritium locators on bedside lights. I often use my Raw Ns for that reason alone above many other nice lights I have. I've put luminous paint on some of them, but the tritium locators are better.

I didn't like the regular Orb Raw as much. Beam was brighter and narrower, but the Raw just didn't have the precision feel of the Raw Ns, esp when rotating the switch. Maybe it was the lightweight aluminum body, or maybe the O-rings didn't seal as well as the Ns.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my alum. bronze CR ION......I would give anything for another one in Ti!!

havand

Enlightened
I just saw one go for lower 200s in the custom b/s/t :p

lightdoc said:
My Titanium Exolion is AWSOME-
3 levels, low will last 13+ hours.
Fit and finish are PERFECT.

Good luck finding one...

fleegs

Enlightened
I have owned all 3 but not all in Ti. I sold the Orb because of lack of water resistance. I still own the Ti Exolion and two Ions (Al-bronze and black Al). I like the ions but the beam is not as throwy as the Exolion (holy crap is the Exolion bright on burst). I think the Exolion Ti would be my favorite but it is based on the smaller sized RCR2 batteries and I have the longer RCR2 batts. And the threads are not finished out far enough to fully fit the longer battery. When you unscrew it so the light can not come on, the threads can get cross threaded easy, too easy. So close to perfection the Ti Exolion is for me. I would love to get the stainless steel version because it is designed on the longer CR2 battery. Because of this the Ion edges out the Ti Exo light for me. I actually EDC the Al Bronze in my key/knife pocket and it looks the same as when I first got it. Plus a color Ion would have a cool look to it.

rob

Last edited:

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I have ordered myself a Raw, partly because the modularity of the design begs for it to be modded, possibly with an XRE when they become available. I bought the aluminium version so i can see whether i like it or not before dropping £150 on the titanium one. I am in the market for a CR2 Ion too, but i will wait till after payday. I saw there is quite a big spacer in the raw, has anybody tried fitting a driver in there?
Marc