Reversed American Flag

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know why the flags on the US military uniforms are reversed, with the union on the upper right side, rather than the upper left side, as traditionally done?
Does that have some significance to it?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I was in the USAF for 21 years and have never seen that before. Did you see it in a photo? Perhaps the image was reversed or it was a reflection in a mirror?

lessing

Newly Enlightened
I believe that according to flag conduct and military tradition, the field has to be closest to the heart, and its position on the arm requires it to face opposite the usual way. I believe I read this in the same section of flag eddiquite( Yeah I know I can not spell) as the proper way to drape a flag on a casket.

I remember reading this, but I am no expert.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not a mirror, I saw it on the program that's currently on television, with the troops making preparations. And it wasn't just on one uniform, they seemed to be on all of them, wearing them on the right shoulder also- is it also traditionally worn on the left shoulder?
Maybe the news program somehow is broadcasting a mirror image (?).

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That could make sense, then, if they're wearing it on the right shoulder- wonder why they just didn't wear the regular orientation on the left shoulder then..

Originally posted by lessing:
I believe that according to flag conduct and military tradition, the field has to be closest to the heart, and its position on the arm requires it to face opposite the usual way. I believe I read this in the same section of flag eddiquite( Yeah I know I can not spell) as the proper way to drape a flag on a casket.

I remember reading this, but I am no expert.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

lessing

Newly Enlightened
Ok, again this is just from the many books I read and history channel, and mail call etc.. I think it is an international agreement about where country insignia goes, along with where bands for medic and red cross go, God I hope I am not making a total a$$ of myself, somebody help us out here.

Greta

Flashaholic
Ok... here's what I just got from my husband. First, they can't wear the flag on their left shoulder because their unit patch is there. Now as far as the flag being "reversed" on the right shoulder, he said it's not reversed. It is simply blowing back. The field of stars is always facing in the direction that the body is moving. Bodies as a rule, move forward. Understand?
icon3.gif

lessing

Newly Enlightened
Just found this on the flag ettiquite page:

Why is the flag sometimes backwards on the side of airplanes, buses, and military uniforms?
The flag decals have the union (the blue area with the stars) on the side closer to the front of the plane. On the plane's left, the decal shows the flag with the union at the left, as usual. On the plane's right side, the union is on the right. This is done so that the flag looks as if it is blowing in the wind created by the forward movement of the ship or airplane. You can see this on cars and trucks as well. Click to see pictures of the flag decals on Air Force 1. There are two separate flag patches in the Army inventory: the normal U.S. flag replica that is worn on the left sleeve, and what is referred to as the "reversed field" flag patch, which is worn on the right sleeve.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Very interesting. On my uniform in the AF, our unit patch and command patch was on our breast pockets. Stripes/rank insignia for enlisted either on sholders or on a leather patch with name/USAF above left breast pocket. Rank insignia for officers on collar or on leather patch above left breast pocket. Some of us had "special patches" over the right breast pocket and sometimes a job specific insignia over the left breast pocket, but under the leather patch if worn....

Well that was the U.S.A.F and I retired in 96. Uniform changes occur often so things may be a little "different" now. I was not aware of placement of the flag as discussed here. Thanks!

2dogs

Enlightened
There are several sites re flag ettiquete ( I can't spell either) with 1 official site.
BTW I retired 2 years ago from a fire dept. The policy was that anyone wearing an American flag on their helmet or as a pin (no patches allowed either) was subject to disipline up to termination. The City did not allow any show of patriotism, though the PD got away with it.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by 2dogs:
The policy was that anyone wearing an American flag on their helmet or as a pin (no patches allowed either) was subject to disipline up to termination. The City did not allow any show of patriotism
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's incredible- presumably not to "offend" some component of the populace?
rolleyes.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
If wearing an American flag could offend some component of the American populace, they need to take their components elsewhere! TX

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
2dogs...

Absolutely unbelievable!! Just goes to show how screwed up things have gotten, especially in some locales.

Adding to my shame is that my generation (baby boomers) is leading the slide down into the cespool. How far down we have come from a country that basically saved the world during WWII.

AllenInHouston

Newly Enlightened
I'm with txwest on this one. If someone feels that it's wrong to show pride for their country, maybe they should go to another one. If anything, make it an option and not a requirement, but if I were in charge, they'd all have a flag on their uniform.

Allen

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by AllenInHouston:
If anything, make it an option and not a requirement.
Allen
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what I would have thought; leave freedom of expression to the individuals- a policy of prohibiting it is a hare-brained step to the wrong extreme.

Latest posts