E1 or E0... help me decide.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
So I've got a dorcy 1xAAA on there now. E0 is close to same brightness, LONG runtime (a plus)... E1 is much brighter lower runtime. Is the extra brightness worth the lower runtime?

I already carry a L1P, just looking for a keychain light. Don't really want the L0P SE, not a big fan of off/on/off/on combo type stuff for different light levels.

opinions?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I have both and like both, but it's the E0 that I carry. Since you already carry the L1P, I'd suggest the E0. It's kind of comforting to know you won't be running out of light for a long time. It is pretty blue, so beware of that, but no worse than other lights using the Nichia CS LED. I like the flood of very usable light it provides.

Geoff

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think ANYTHING would bump the Fenix LOP off my keychain, but the E1 is being carried more now.

The E1 is a LOT brighter than any of the Nichias, but still has decent runtime.

A single Nichia is passe now.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a E1 and was pretty impressed with it overall. Bright but ringy beam, but you really don't notice the rings that much when in use out in the world. I ended up trading it off and currently have an E0 on my house keyring. I like it a lot and don't plan on getting rid of it. Light output is not as much as a Photon Freedom or an ARC-P, but it is plenty for most uses and runs a long time.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
personally found the e1s tint and rings annoying, I like my lop-se better.

cdosrun

Enlightened
I didn't compromise, I bought both. The E0 is the one on my keyring, it is a great little light, and I don't notice it (even though I only have 3 keys on the ring) with a Li cell. It is bright enough for most things I want from a keyring light.

The E1 is a bit brighter, but I didn't use it much until I removed the ring from the beam with the marker mod (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134412&page=1).

I would probably go with the E1 if I was only going to have one because the beam is slightly less blue and more useful (without the annoying ring). If it was just for backup, then the E0 wins with the runtime (bear in mind that I haven't finished a cell off in either of them yet).

Both are perfectly adequate for seeing the sockets on the back of a computer when you are groping in the dark! :candle:

Andrew

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCH_BOY said:
If you want long runtime the E0, if you want more light with throw the E1...I have both on my keyring

Exactly right TORCH_BOY! I also carry two keychain lights, always. Carrying two lights, the odds are damned good that at least one light will work when needed.

During a genuine emergency, when life or limb could be at stake, I don't want to chance not having a working light available. I'd much rather carry two decent quality, less expensive lights than one expensive, higher-quality multi-level light.

dchao

Enlightened
I carry the E0 on my keychain. It's smaller, and the flood beam is really useful when you use it in candle mode. IMO, the increase in throw for the E1 is not that useful anyway, I rather have a Lithium light for throw.