Just split my first CR-V3

Mike89

Enlightened
I had been wanting to split a CR-V3 battery to try 3 volts in my Fenix L1T. Just got a Duracell CR-V3 and gave it a go. I was surprised how easy it was. Plastic came off pretty easy and I just bent the tabs connecting the batteries together to break them off. Next time I'm going to be more careful cause when I was taking the tabs off, I shorted it a bit and my hand got hot real quick. Not long enough to fry anything though. Filed the sides a little bit and top and bottom and popped that sucker in.

It was a perfect fit. I can tell in the daytime that's it's brighter than with the 1.5 volt. Tonight will be the real test.

Has anyone done any tests to see how long this 3 volt battery will power the light compared to a 1.5 volt?

I know the battery was not designed for this so I'm wondering how long it will keep its cajones.

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
I split one last month.....(just make sure the Duracell says "Made in Japan" to get the 2-3 volt cells) and had been using it from time to time since then. Its definitely brighter......which I like.

I would be interesting to see a run time test.....if I only had the time.

Bill

mchlwise

Enlightened
I've split a couple of them. It's really not too bad, and definitely improves output! :grin2:

Mike89

Enlightened
Yep, definitely brighter than with a 1.5 volt. It's dam close to the L2T now. Not quite as bright but I have to walk around at night with one in each hand flicking one then the other repeatedly to tell. I guess it's the double battery just having a wee bit more oomph than a single.

Now I'll have to see how long it lasts. I had pre-ordered the L1T modded body from FenixStore to take the cr123a before I did this, now I'm thinking this is going to be just as good. I'm curious to see how one stacks up against the other. The cr123a has a bit more bulk to it so maybe it's a little stronger.

I'd love to see a side by side review of this. Dunno how many have these two combos though.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap! This is great! Now you can cut down 2AA bodies to 1AA size! Oh man imagine a "1AA" MagLED!

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much did you pay for the CR-V3?

Have you considered getting a CR123 body for your L1T and buying batteries for $1 apiece?

Mike89

Enlightened
The CR-V3 I have is a primary, not the re-chargeable one.

They are about $8 each, so $4 per battery, a little on the expensive side. As much as I actually use this flashlight though, I figure 2 batteries will last me quite awhile. I imagine I would get tired of it if I was replacing the battery every week.

As far as me considering the cr123a, read my above post again (I have a modded cr123 body on pre-order).

Last edited:

alberto

Enlightened
I've been splitting CRV3s for my household Dorcy AAs for a couple of years. Much brighter with incredible runtimes. I haven't bothered to figure out if it's cost-justified, but I like the concept. I've just ordered a Fenix L1T and will use the half CRV3s there as well - small size but same output as L2T.

Mike89

Enlightened
You might also consider buying a modded body for the L1T from the Fenixstore which will take the cr123a. I pre-ordered one myself. The cr123a is much cheaper than splitting those crv3's.

alberto

Enlightened
Mike89 said:
You might also consider buying a modded body for the L1T from the Fenixstore which will take the cr123a. I pre-ordered one myself. The cr123a is much cheaper than splitting those crv3's.

Good suggestion. It will be nice to have both bodies for a little "mix-and-match" flexibility. With the standard L1T body, I also have a kind of 4-stage light, by switching between 3.7v (split CRV3) and 1.5v AA batteries.