My bike helmet light mount- with photos

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided I wanted a light on my helmet for night riding just so when I look to the side, I could actually see what I was looking at and also so I can shine it into a motorist's direction so they can see me better.

I ordered a TwoFish Lockblocks U-lock Mount (took about a week to get the set) and took one of the mounts and trimmed it down to fit the contour of my helmet. I cut 2 slots in my helmet and ran the velcro through them to hold on the mount. I then placed a strip of velcro on the helmet behind the mount to hold the block on. This provides a rock solid mount for the light.

I use the other 2 mounts for my bike light/lights depending on whether I use one or two on the handle bars mounted one on top and one underneath of each other.

My JetBeam I will be my helmet light.

Bikehelmetmount04ars.jpg

Bikehelmetmount09ars.jpg

The photo below is to show how I cut the block to the contour of my helmet to hold it in place more securely.
Bikehelmetmount06ars.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
Nice!

Here's an old thread I started on the same topic:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/97113

I've since lost the helmet shown there (together with the modded minimag that was attached). I haven't had time to build myself another helmet light, but the helmet I have now is more lockblock-friendly than my old one, so I'll probably use that as attachment base.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, the pics, and the link!

I've just recently begun discussion with a coworker who is fairly serious into mountain biking. I may need to outfit my Specialized with some light sources to take advantage of the trails in light (or the lack thereof) of the impending "fall back" time change that will rob us of daylight. Hopefully, tomorrow we'll be hitting the trails.

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
Just a reminder that if you are going to be attaching a light to your helmet make sure you do not cut the styrofoam part of the helmet. If you cut anypart of the helmet (or even the plastic on some models) it can greatly reduce the strenght of the helmet.

dougie

Enlightened
From the perspective of coming off a bike at speed I'm very dubious about the 'drag' that anything which is attached to a helmet could induce if the biker comes off and his helmet makes contact with the ground. Although unlikely the potential to suffer neck/spine trauma is greatly increased by anything which doesn't easily break away.

After all the whole point of wearing a helmet is to decrease your chances of suffering a head injury if you come off. Anything which therefore adds to the potential to acquire other injuries seems a bit goofy?

BTW this isn't having a pop at srvctec's work, just trying to point out a potential danger that's all.

Doug

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
dougie said:
From the perspective of coming off a bike at speed I'm very dubious about the 'drag' that anything which is attached to a helmet could induce if the biker comes off and his helmet makes contact with the ground. Although unlikely the potential to suffer neck/spine trauma is greatly increased by anything which doesn't easily break away.

After all the whole point of wearing a helmet is to decrease your chances of suffering a head injury if you come off. Anything which therefore adds to the potential to acquire other injuries seems a bit goofy?

BTW this isn't having a pop at srvctec's work, just trying to point out a potential danger that's all.

Doug

Good point and one I have also considered and should have mentioned in my original post.

I feel that being much more visible to motorists with the light installed on my helmet and also increasing my vision may actually greatly reduce my chances of getting hit or crashing in the first place. I also believe that the advantages of having the light mounted far outweighs the slim chance that I will be in an accident hitting my head on the ground in exactly the manner which will cause neck/spine trauma with it mounted.