Home Depot is my new flashlight 'pusher'

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
I had to go to Home Depot today to get something for my bathroom and, recalling a few comments CPFers had made regarding buying lights at Home Depot, I decided to go in search of their flashlight section.

I was astounded at the selection! First of all, I saw several Maglite packages I've never seen elsewhere (although I admit I've only ever bought Maglites at Wal-Mart and Target). By "packages," I mean light/battery/accessory combos I've never seen in another store.
A few Mag highlights:
  1. 4D (incan) with 4 Duracells - $19.99
  2. 2xAAA (incan) and 2xAA (incan), with pocket clips - $14.99
  3. 3xAAA LED - $19.99 (about $5 cheaper than my local Wal-Mart)
I was also impressed by the other lights HD had to offer -- even the cheapo entry-level incans (2D, 2C, and 4xAA) looked pretty solid and seemed to be priced between $5 and $15; I also saw some interesting LEDs for $10 to $15.

As much as I like giving my business to small businessmen like Lighthound and 4Sevens, I think I'll have to spend some time at Home Depot the next few firsts-of-the-month...

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I'm thinking a trip to my local Home Depot is in order. I usually only hit the local Target and Wal-Mart when looking for a light.

h2xblive

Enlightened
Manzerick said:
19.99 for MAgled 3 AA...

WOW!!!!

I just got one for a friend doe a little over $25 @ wally world...

Yeah, and I spent like $26 for mine at Lowe's

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I picked up one of the 3AA's for $20. I;m starting to notice that when anyone lists a walmart price of something it can usually be had somewhere else for less, I guess since they have driven a lot of small stores out of business they don't have to offer the lowest price anymore as people in small towns are stuck with them.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I love it when I find a place that is less expensive than Walmart. :)

I bought 1 3AA MagLED a month ago at Home Despot ... then took my receipt to Blowes and they beat that price by 10%. I bought two more there. :D

Someone else here did the same thing.

Niteowl

Enlightened
If I not mistaken, the 3D LED was 29.97. I don't think the prices will last as they introduced the LED module for 15.97, then raised it a month or so later to the same as other stores.

edit: It is the 4D that is $29.97.

Last edited:
I always seem to find myself standing in front of their flashlight section, but I'm never quite impressed enough to buy anything from them anymore. I'm past Mag-Lites, and that seems to be the majority of their selection. I did buy one of those aluminum "Husky" brand spotlights with the area light and the 3-level switch, but found the switch to be endlessly annoying. You have to pull the trigger and release it to scroll from low-med-high and then back around. If you put the light down for a while, you may forget what's next and just hope it's what you want, otherwise you will have to click it a few times. I used mine for a few days, and the switch broke completely, locking it on high. By that point I was so frustrated that I just tossed it aside, let the battery run itself out, and took it apart later. I don't understand why they don't just put a three-position switch on the side, and use a regular momentary switch for the trigger. That what you can select what level you want to use, and it stays there.

Fry's Electronics have Mag LED 2AA for $21.99. I was able to match & beat at Lowe's to $19.79. Home Depot doesn't carry 2AA however.

Colorado Fatboy

Newly Enlightened
I checked a store I was in today and their selection was pathetic. Only Mag LED they had was the 4D.

However they had a 3D with Mini Mag combo, incan of course for $19.99!

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Home Depot sucks big time when it comes to flashlight selection. My local Home Depot only carries a few Maglites and plenty of cheap flashlights. You know, the ones where you get 4-5 flashlights in a package for less than $15.

I've been always disappointed at Home Depot. They're suppose to be a home improvement store that carries everything! I wish they would offer different brands of flashlights such as Streamlight, Surefire, Pelican, Inova, etc...

The only thing I like about Home Depot is that their Maglite replacement bulbs are cheaper than the other outside stores.

And please don't get me started on OSH! Their items are freakin' way overpriced!