Super Sonic

thunderlight

Enlightened
Picked up new Gerber Sonic at REI [around $15]. Nice improvements over recent model. This Sonic has a brighter LED and Gerber has returned to recessing the LED as in the original CMG design. As a result of the recessing, I no longer have to cover the LED with my thumb to eliminate glare.

This new model has a black matte finish similar to the finish on the Gerber Recon. Don't know about durability of finish, but probably an improvement, although I was happy with previous finish.

For comparison purposes, it seemed to be significantly brighter than the recent Eveready Penlight models, not quite as bright as the reflectorized X1 and significantly less spill, but very good for a keychain light. Definitely brighter than the reflectorized Dorcy AAA. [Still like my Dorcy's especially at the price point.] The Sonic's beam has a Blue tint at center similar to the beam of many current 5 mm LEDs.

So this new Sonic replaces the current Sonic as my shirt pocket EDC. [BTW, I don't have a single LED Peak Matterhorn or a AAA Arc so I can't provide a comparison.]

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Went looking at my local REI today for this, but no luck. Did you buy at a store, or on-line? I alway kind of liked my first generation Sonic. It hangs from my car's turn signal lever. How's the beam on the new one? Is it smooth with a blue center, kind of like the X1? My oldie is a bit blotchy and blue, but that was about par when they came out. Sounds like the added brightness and low cost should put it in the "good little AAA league".

Geoff

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi Flying Turtle,

Purchased it at the Paradise Valley REI store in Phoenix, AZ. Yes, I would describe it as "smooth with a blue center". Appears more focused than the previous model, but this is presumably due to the fact that it is brighter and the LED is recessed. Still plenty of spill. Also, the LED is significantly brighter than the previous model, so this is not just luck of the draw.

BTW, this is assembled in USA with domestic and foreign parts.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
thunderlight said:
Picked up new Gerber Sonic at REI [around $15]. Nice improvements over recent model. This Sonic has a brighter LED and Gerber has returned to recessing the LED as in the original CMG design.

Wow, good news. I'm glad to see Gerber going back to some of the CMG features. Their "improvements" to the line after purchasing CMG made me shake my head. I still prefer my old CMG Infinities and Sonic, but Gerber might get some of my money if they keep this up. :)

wjb3

Newly Enlightened
thunderlight said:
Picked up new Gerber Sonic at REI [around $15]. Nice improvements over recent model. This Sonic has a brighter LED and Gerber has returned to recessing the LED as in the original CMG design.

Piffle.
icon6.gif
Now I will have to drive over to REI.

I like the Sonic as a gift since I can buy one for $13.25 and but an Energizer L92 AAA lithium in it.
=

Last edited: