who can freeze pop an inova x1 for me?

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i have an orange body X1 with the old spotlight style optic, that i was wondering if someone could freeze pop the light open and replace with the reflectored style internals? i would ship the light to you with a new inova x1 reflector version and i would need you to freeze pop both lights and put the reflectored internals into the orange X1, then send me the orange one back and you could keep the other one if you wanted. thanks.

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Hi Mossyoak, you might want to try it out with the reflectored X1 before shipping it out. If it works, then do it with the more precious orange X1. I have done it with one of those 1AA 8 LED china lights and I find it real easy (If i can do it, I believe anyone else can. Trust me on this). Just fill the light body up with water and screw on the tailcap. Put in freezer till you see the head just out. Since you only want to switch between optics and reflector, it will only be a short procedure after you freeze pop them. Saves you a lot of time shipping to and fro too. Might wanna think about that first.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
I'll do it if you want. I'd also recommend trying it yourself, it's not hard.
EDIT: hmm... I looked at some pics, and I don't know how compatible the two light engines are.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll do it if needed. I can confirm that the body is identical for both lights. I also have a spare cap that I can use for freezing the lights - so I don't ruin the one you are going to use.

It's a fairly simple operation, worth trying yourself. When you use it, you get the satisfaction of having modded the light yourself.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I freeze popped an X1 once. I was going to put a red LED in it. The internals expanded and didn't appear to work anymore. Maybe I was just doing something wrong. I didn't really understand how the circuit board was supposed to make contact, since both the positive and negative terminals appeared to touch the copper colored piece. I was probably just doing something wrong, because the freeze popping went off fine. The trick is to use a pencil to push down the piston when you submerge it and some more air bubbles will come out of the light, then you need to put the tailcap on underwater.