the Annual "Racoon Hunt"

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it was that time of year again, and so my buddy and myself headed down to Fairbank, AZ (ghost town 10 miles West of Tombstone) on our annual "raccoon hunt". Note: No critters are ever harmed on these hunts.:huh2: Consider it a late night hike through drug running and illegal alien crossing territory. No need for dogs on a AZ raccoon hunt either, just make sure you have a 5 rounder in your gun (and 7 thirties on your belt!:ohgeez: ).

This year we went on the 21st at O'Dark-thirty, so we had a new moon to guide us…and tons of lights that needed to be tested in the wilds.:candle:

We geared up and headed through the fenced in town of Fairbank with a short stop to talk to the friendly BLM officer who lives on the premises and let him know if he hears a lot of gunfire :xyxgun: and sees red flares, to send the cavalry in our general direction (no, I'm not joking), then went down the old deserted railroad tracks toward the San Pedro River. I had an HDS EDC U60GT mounted to the left side of my AR, and my buddy used a Minmag with NiteIze leds.

Yes, yes. I had an EOS on my head, an L2 in one BDU pocket, an ROP LE LO, Mag85, M3, L6, M6, Minmag led… you get the idea. :grin2:

Once our eyes were nice and dark adapted, we made our way mostly with just starlight until we arrived at the train bridge over the San Pedro. After crossing over the bridge, it was test time. This place was ideal from some good light testing. I had been there several times before (repelling off the bridge in daylight) and "raccoon hunting" last year. This particular place gives a few hundred yards to test the lights from a good high vantage point.

Now, walking through the desert on the tracks, the EOS was not really ideal. Even on the low beam, it was still a bit bright, and it was a rather cold night so ones breath would illuminate in the beam.

The HDS on the lowest setting worked very well, especially crossing the bridge at night trying to step on and not between the timbers on the bridge:sweat: . The L2 on low also worked particularly well. I found that the LED lights worked well, but by far the best was probably the L2 on max (night vision be dammed) for massive LED illumination. The L2 on high throws such a wall of light that you still seem to have good depth perception. The EDC though could really throw, and was perfect for making some hot tea on the tracks (once the lowest setting was set even lower). Next time will bring the diffuser for this light.

The two lights I really wanted to test was the ROP LE LO and the Mag85.

The ROP has a MOP reflector from the Sandwich Shoppe and the Mag85 a light stipple from Light-Edge.

I can only say this, the ROP is like a headlight and the Mag85 is like a train light. Both lights lit up well over 100+ yards. I don't mean that you can see the light on some distant objects. I mean it lit up the bank of the river enough to identify a threat at 100+ yards!:duck: I don't see a need for the HO in the ROP. In fact, I plan to go with a heavy stipple in both these lights and give it another go in a few weeks. The ROP made my M3 with the 225 HOLA look sickly yellow.:green: The M6 HOLA was brighter than the ROP LOLA, yet not as bright as the Mag85. Both the Mag85 and the M6 HOLO seemed to have about the same throw, however the Mag85 had a much broader hotspot and spill.

I think if I could only bring two lights with me out into the wilds, the ROP LE LOLA and the HDS EDC U60GT would cover darn near anything I would need a light for, especially with a diffuser on the the EDC, but don't expect to see any of my other lights on the BST!:rock:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like a lot of fun! do you help out the border patrol or what? if so how maney illeagals do you catch? what type of ar-15 do you use we use bushmasters they are great.

have fun!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Bushmaster Dissipater A3 with a VLTOR CASV-EL hand guards and lots of other "stuff" tacked on to it. It is quite a tac driver with the right ammo.

I'm not a "Minute Man" as my department would "frown" upon that. I do keep Border Patrol on speed dial on my cell phone, and I of course let any people I run into who are "camping/hiking" in the desert know that they are free to go on their merry way (I tell them in English and Japanese as these are the only languages I speak) as I watch them and make the call to Border Patrol. Funny thing is, they usually just sit there. I tell them many times in both languages that they don't have to wait for Border Patrol to arrive, but they usually just sit down and wait. Go figure? Stopped two on the side of the road in broad daylight on Friday. I tell them they can leave and then call a very happy Border Patrol who comes and picks them up.

Yes, my department would not like me doing this. Tough sh*t. I consider it one agency helping out another and I don't do it on duty. It's a bit of a touchy subject this close to the border. I honestly don't know what the rest of the country is thinking. I've been hunting and hiking down here for five years, and the desert is absolutely strewn with backpacks, clothing, water bottles, and junk. I'd better stop as I didn't mean for this to become a political discussion. Anyway, those lights were absolutely awesome in the desert at night under a new moon. Hardly got a chance to play with my night vision scope.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically, isn't "Raccoon" the animal and "Racoon" a Dutch rock band?

I did not know the Dutch were crossing our borders illegally!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source rac·coon also ra·coon (r-kn)
n. pl. rac·coons or raccoon also ra·coons or racoon
A carnivorous North American mammal (Procyon lotor) having grayish-brown fur, black masklike facial markings, and a black-ringed bushy tail.
The fur of this mammal.
Any of various similar or related animals.