Quest. about APC in Newwish laser

Jive

Newly Enlightened
I attempted the pot mod in my Newwish Green 10mw laser, but got no increase in brightness. I read about disabling the APC to get more power, but I never saw anyone say this would not harm the laser. I also tend to think my 10mw might have been already pot modded, but I'm not sure. I would try the APC mod, but I do not want to harm the laser, nor do I want to do it if it does not increase the brightness.

And for a final question. I'm wondering if mine is a bit more powerful than a 10mw. I don't have a green LED just yet, so I cannot test it. What I can tell you is that I can see the beam solid at night. Also the beam can be seen in a room with a 60w lightbulb on, if you are looking semi down the side of the pointer. It will also burn through trash bags starting at a distance of about 1" from the bag. It does take around 5 seconds to do this. At up to 6 inches away, it will melt the bag a bit.

Been lurking around here for the past couple weeks, and have found a ton of info here! Thanks in advance for any help!

Jive

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
With out the APC mod THE POT MOD IS NOTHING. Please note that there will be no changes in power and brightness if the apc is not disabled first. and if you do not want to harm the laser then do not do any mod at all. Even pot mod will harm the laser and reduce the life expectancy of the laser!:grin2:
Infact, there are risk of burning out the Diode if the pot mod is done...........

Please reconsider.

Last edited:

Jive

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the information. The only reason I did the pot mod, is that from the posts I read, the diode could handle it without any negative affects. Providing you didn't short out the pot to the casing. Is this not true? And has anyone has success in modding a 10mw newwish?

I've been avoiding the APC mod because I do not want to damage the casing trying to get the guts out. The hole I made for the pot mod was easily covered bythe FDA decal.

Jive

Jive

Newly Enlightened
Understood, and I did read where newwish lasers do not have a IR filter. is the the case for all newwish lasers? it seems like that could be a safety hazard, or am I just uninformed about IR danger?

Jive

wells05 said:
Just beware of IR when dealing with NewWish lasers.

Jive

Newly Enlightened
As an added note, I did do the APC mod, but got no results. Turning the pot with the APC disabled did nothing as well. I suppose mine was from a new batch that cannot be modded.

Also, concerning the IR filter. In the Newwish mod threads, it does make mention of an IR filter in the Newwish pointers. Can anyone confirm this?

Jive

Jive said:
Understood, and I did read where newwish lasers do not have a IR filter. is the the case for all newwish lasers? it seems like that could be a safety hazard, or am I just uninformed about IR danger?

Jive

Athoul

Enlightened
Well the IR filter will be a blue/green coloured glass normally situated behind the final focusing lens. If you look into the aperture (with batteries out), you should see this, if not there is likely no IR filter. As far as I know New Wish lasers don't have IR fitlers, this was confirmed by those that have taken them apart. It is possible they have started to include them though, I dunno.