Sub C flashlights

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Are there any other flashlights out there except the Streamlight Stinger that uses sub C cells?

It seems to me that sub C NiMH batteries are the perfect candidate for small tactical flashlights. Currently its the closest thing in size to the (expensive) CR123 cells. A 2 cell version could power a 3-4 watt bulb while a 3 cell version can drive a 5-6 watt bulb.

What do you guys think?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight SL-20XP, uses sub-c cells. The latest technoly is a Ni-Mh sub-c at 1.2V, 3000MAH, which is an impressive package...

On a flashlight related note, my Pelican M-11 uses standard C cells, at 2400MAH, somewhat different philosophy, i guess.

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Pelican probably used the 2.4AH C cell because it would have reduced the selling price of the unit, making it more appealing. There are actually 4AH C cells out there.

"The latest technoly is a Ni-Mh sub-c at 1.2V, 3000MAH, which is an impressive package..."
I couldn't agree more! Streamlight should start replacing those old 1.8AH NiCds with this new breed of NiMHs. They could either increase their torches' runtime or make them even more powerful.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
The SureFire 8NX also uses the B90 battery pack with 3 sub-Cs. The StreamLight and SureFire packs are very similar but, unfortunately, are not interchangable.

BTW, I've had nothing but problems with SureFire B90s - leakage and bad internal contacts on both the original batteries in my kit - in only a couple of months of very limited use. The + "cap" has a spring under it contacting the C's + pin (why?). Bat leakage caused the spring to corrode and then began to arc internally!

I've had two Streamlight packs for several years with no problems at all.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
mhejl,
your experience with the B90's sounds quite unusual - have you tried contacting SF Customer Service ? I think they would be interested, and arrive at a solution for you.

On sub-c's, doesn't the Mag-Charger use a stick of 5 of them, which is compatible with one of the Streamlights ?

lightlover
smile.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sanyo and Panasonic make NiMH 3A sub-c's, but Panasonic was the innovator. The mag charger uses 1/2-D size NiCads.

As for the 8X/B90 problem, sounds like it's a design problem, because of the rotating head (to turn the light on for constant operation) the springs on the lamp assembly rub against the battery contact. Maybe this wear caused the failures??

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think a lot more people make Sub-Cs. I know GP has them under their own brand.

BTW sub-Cs are 43(H) x 22(dia)mm. Its shorter than the AA but a lot wider.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
Update on my B90 problems:

Yes, I contacted SF yesterday via e-mail.

They admitted they had production problems with B90s in early kits (I bought when they first came out). There should be no spring between the + cap and the sub-C but mine sure had them.

They're sending me two new B90s free. GREAT service and prompt email reply from SF!
smile.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Know if I can use my nicad charger to charge these? Or wire my nimh charger to charge these? I'd hate to buy another charger just for these...maybe I'll buy the nicad version so I can use it in my nicad charger?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Know if I can use my nicad charger to charge these"..

They are 1.2V batteries so I can't see the charger having any problems with them.

How does you charger detect when the battery is fully charged? Does it use a timer or -V detection (basically a smart charger)?