Did anyone feel the shake?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Yesterday here in the northwest corner of the Florida Panhandle we had a little shake for about 10-15 seconds around 2PM. I would find this uneventful except for the fact we don't have any earthquake activity, and the seismic folks said it was not a natural tremor. The Military claims no responsibility and no one else has come up with a reason. The shake was strong enough that my wife gathered our kids in the center of the house during the episode and my friends wife left her house and got in the car. There are reports from as far as 30+ miles away. I initially thought sonic boom, but the length of the tremor is too long unless it was a whole bunch of aircraft. My question is...Did anyone here on CPF feel the same thing and if so where are you located?

Late edit: The bad part was it happened during the day and it didn't knock out power so i didn't get the chance to break out "the gear", ha-ha!

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange, no reports from USGS and according to this article it's still a mystery
icon3.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
De Nada, DD
There is a web site that has all the seismic info but I can't recall where. Wait a bit for the west coast people to chime in. They know where it is.

rrtanton

Newly Enlightened
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

This is a great site for earthquake data, but there's nothing you should have felt where you are (according to the map.) If you haven't already visited this site (you mention the "seismic folks") you might email them. Bit of a head-scratcher...maybe it was a natural quake and they just didn't detect it properly?

rusty

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Tomas...shhhhhhhh...don't let "them" know that "we" know..."what" they don't know!

Back to your regularly scheduled broadcast...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The space shuttle has a double boom when landing. It lasts about four seconds. It's not that.
I doubt blasting could be felt for thirty miles.
I don't believe that the USGS is wrong.

I think using Occam's Razor, we can say, THEY have landed. RUN AWAY!!

Chromatophile

Newly Enlightened
Something very similar happened when I was living in Gulf Breeze several years ago. Everything began to shake, not violently, but it was still fairly bizarre. I think it also lasted about 15 seconds. Eglin AFB claimed no knowledge, but I was convinced they were detonating nukes underground. I was about 11 at the time. Boy, what an imagination I had back then!
rolleyes.gif

James

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the clue Stringray. It's the Gov'mt testing ELF communication systems. They must have turned the amp up to eleven.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Another article in the Pensacola fish wrapper today and still no answers. Said it's the fourth time since 1989. The best guess is still some kind of sonic boom and if so, it was the longest one I have ever seen!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, well it appears that our ELF transmitters are located in Wisconsin and Michigan, with their antipodes being around New Zealand or so perhaps?

The Russians are rumored to have one on the Kola Peninsula near Murmansk which would put it at 69dN, 33dE which would put it's antipode point somewhere in the antarctic.

But it's certainly possible that they could twist that around somewhat by altering the tuning of the 2 antenna's, or that there are more sites (like in nevada somewhere?)

It's interesting that the fellow who wrote that report I'm quoting from above is FROM Sebastian florida.

There is some evidence that other EMP testing might be able to create localized earth quakes. Lots of really interesting info here:

http://www.greatdreams.com/1090wjkm.htm

I'm not suggesting that any of that is real you understand, just makes for interesting reading
wink.gif