Meade etx-90-ec telescope???

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about getting one of these. Anybody have
any experience with one of these or a similar telescope??

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got the ETX-60, hard case, tripod, filter kit, and a couple accessory lenses & doublers (off the top of my head can't remember which ones). I know the 60 is the same as the 70 except a little smaller in diameter, thus less light gathering capabilities. I'm a true "NOVICE", so can't expand a lot on details.

I saw the Sportsmansguide.com had a really good deal on the 90...I'll dig out a catalog or you can to go their website and search (I'm in a rush!)...

I've got several astronomy programs on my Handspring Visor and they really make stargazing a fun thing to do!

I like my 60!! (got the basic scope for $99 NEW!!) and added the accessories. I love the way it self aligns to the stars! Check out the package on Sportsmansguide. There may be more affordable sources though?

Are you a novice, intermediate, or above stargazer?

guncollector

Enlightened
tiktok 22:

Honestly, if you're not going to spend upwards of $1500-2000, don't bother.

I purchased one of these ETX-90's, and all the filters, and 2X eyepieces, etc., and well...when Mars was great viewing last year...the scope turned a teeny-tiny little dot...into a tiny little dot.

If you want those fancy pictures of planets and stars that you see in the magazines, then buy the magazines.

For me, the ETX-90 is good for viewing the moon, and that's about it.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of these ETX-90's, and all the filters, and 2X eyepieces, etc., and well...when Mars was great viewing last year...the scope turned a teeny-tiny little dot...into a tiny little dot.

If you want those fancy pictures of planets and stars that you see in the magazines, then buy the magazines.

For me, the ETX-90 is good for viewing the moon, and that's about it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">guncollector:
It sounds like that u didn't take full advantage of the telescope. 90mm of aperature will show quite a bit of details on the planets. You should be able to see several bands on Jupiter and its satellites, Saturn's ring, the cresent shape of venus. Brighter deep sky objects such as the orion nebula and a large number of open clusters should be well within reach of your telescope. And you can see details in these objects not just tiny dots. If you would like to give you telescope a second chance, I suggest u join a local astronomy club or pick up an astronmy guide book. "turn left at orion" is one of my favorite.

Granted, if you expect the same level of details as seen in astronomy maganzines, you will be disappointed. Many of those pictures are taken with the Hubble Space Telescope! Pictures are pretty but they are only that, pictures. When you look though a telescope you are actually looking at the object. Those photons striking your retina are actual photons comming from the object you're looking at. Each photon forming those tinny dots are created in stars thousands of light years aways, that have travelled that length of empty space to reach us. Bear in mind that 1 light years equals to 93 million miles! Try comparing that with the throw of your most powerfull flashlight.
wink.gif
IMHO, you cannot get the joy of amature astronomy withing appreciating what are the object that you are looking at.

tiktok:
The etx90ec is a good choice for a first scope. It much better optically then etx60/70 or other short tube refractor. However, finding objects with this scope can be difficult for beginner without the autostar computer. So be sure u also get the autostar computer if you get that scope. It's not included in the basic package.

If you are willing to spend a little bit more, I suggestion you get the Celestron Nexstar 5. try here It's more user-friendly and have a larger aperature(=more powerful). It not that much more expensive as it seems since the computer is included in the basic package, which cost $149 extra for the ETX. But the most important thing is to join an astronomy club or at least read some amature astronomy guidebooks.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I thought the autostar was "included"...my little 60 came with it, but maybe that was some sort of "package deal"? But I agree, for a novice such as myself...it's a very nice tool!

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
I believe the autostar comes with the etx60/70 but not with the 90. $99 is a real steal for a etx60! 60mm of apreature should show plenty of stuff in Alaskan Sky! We guys in Hong Kong can only envy those who have dark sky. In astronomy, there's no substitute for dark sky.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yes we have the dark sky, but we have the deep cold that makes a long viewing session hard to do (but that's what good clothing & hot chocolate is for!).

Our prime viewing is during the winter months (near impossible during the summer due to the looooong days of light - but that's when we are out catching all of those fresh salmon & halibut!!)
grin.gif

Afterimage

Newly Enlightened
If this is your first scope, I would recommend getting something a little more multi-purpose in case your interest in astronomy wanes (which often happens).

A few years ago I was also trying to decide on an ETX. I went with a Televue Ranger instead. It is very light and portable and makes a terrific spotting scope as well. You do need to shell out some money for a sturdy camera tripod though. Since it is a refractor it is easy to sight with a red-dot finder. The ETX finder can become awkward at high angles.

Be careful about aperature. A 90mm ETX may outperform my 70mm Ranger but not by as much as you might expect. The ETX has an obstructed aperature created by the central mirror which reduces contrast.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys,

This is my first telescope. I haven't had that much experience with them, but I would like to know more. Especially the lenses. Exactly what each lens does, and which ones I need. Any help getting me started would be great.

Chromatophile

Newly Enlightened
Guncollector:

Originally posted by guncollector:

...when Mars was great viewing last year...the scope turned a teeny-tiny little dot...into a tiny little dot.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Problem: insufficient magnification. I assume you were using the same eyepiece that you use to look at the moon? It's probably a 25mm. I recommend a 6.7mm eyepiece for planetary (and moon) viewing. Look here. The ETX-90 is a great little telescope, and it's extremely versatile. Also, the ETX (and other maksutov-cassegrain telescopes) are renowned for their superior resolution. You have an excellent piece of equipment.

James

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Oh, forgot to mention the software/cable kit that you can get to hook it up to your laptop or handheld PDA to control the scope! I don't have it yet...

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
This is my first telescope. I haven't had that much experience with them, but I would like to know more. Especially the lenses. Exactly what each lens does, and which ones I need. Any help getting me started would be great.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I suppose "lens" refers to the eyepiece. Both Meade and Celestron is running a special offer on eyepiece. You can get their whole set of eyepiece (5 or 7 eyepice)for $99 if u purchase one of their telescope! The whole set normally cost well over $500 if bought seperately!! I have the Meade set and it's pretty good, expecially for the money. Either set will give you enough range of magnification on most scopes. So be sure to get those.

I agree that the Televue Ranger is a better scope then the Etx. But it can get pretty expensive once you figure in the price of the mount and other accessories. You could easily spent an extra few hundreds on mount and eyepieces alone. If money is not a big problem, the televue ranger is a good choice. Be sure to check out Celestron's nexstar series. Both the nexstar 80 and nexstar 5 are very good scope for beginners.

www.cloudynights.com have some good reviews on telescopes.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
tiktok 22:

Is your handle inspired either by L. Frank Baum's OZ book "TikTok of Oz" or by Dean Koontz paranormal thriller "TikTok"? (Just idly curious.)

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got into astronomy, I went kinda overboard, just like I've done with flashlights. I think I have 5 telescopes, with my favorites being a TV Pronto & a 8" DOB, both ends of the scale. It's not the telescopes that'll put you in the poor house, it's the accessories. Good lenses are expensive. I decided to stay away from the computer controlled scopes because I figured if I didn't, I'ld never learn where all the things I wanted to look at were. Besides, I find the "hunt" to be as much fun as the viewing. Sorta like getting a GPS before you learn to navigate with a map & compass. You probably never will (unless you're in the boonies & your electronics fail). But hey...computers never fail! ;>) TX

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lemlux,

I collect watches also....TICK-TOCK-TICK-TOCK...!!

I know.....another bad habit
grin.gif

Kev

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sigman:

Our prime viewing is during the winter months (near impossible during the summer due to the looooong days of light - but that's when we are out catching all of those fresh salmon & halibut!!)
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, Sig- Do you ever find yourself going out just for the halibut?

Sorry- really bad pun-
grin.gif

Must be great viewing conditions with the clear Alaskan sky- were the Leonids visible there during the showers two years ago?

Dirtnap

Newly Enlightened
I have purchased a few ETX's from thrift stores and paid pennies on the dollar for them. I have a ETX-90EC with the deluxe #884 tripod, 4000 series eyepieces and filters with #497 Autostar assisted by Stella Wi-Fi star field control, buying the ETX-90EC on shopgoodwill.com for $67.00..! The Stella Wi-Fi and App cost more than what I paid for the telescope and eyepiece set... Star gazing doesn't have to drain your wallet, I enjoy it so much bought the RA flavor for the road... I have the best views from the Tahoe basin in California, I'm hooked....!