1st XR-E torch has arrived!

havand

Enlightened
Re: Who will make the 1st XR-E torch?

I don't know which company will be first, but the first lights will come from members. Whether they're lights for sale or simply modifying their own, they're coming and they'll be quick to show them, i'm sure.

daveman

Enlightened

McGizmo compared his custom XR-E with a L6, I think... I believe it will be either SF or Fenix; SF because they do have the resources to get it done quickly if they want to, Fenix because they've been moving at light speed in their product upgrades compared to everyone else. Either one should come out with at least one XR-E product within the next 12 months; I expect to see them by Christmas of next year.

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened

Help! What's XR-E? Some improvement over the Luxeons and all the other improved LEDs?

x2x3x2

Banned

Thanks for the correction daveman, it was an L6 :)

Man 12 months seems pretty long, considering it's just placing a new emitter and recalculated reflector (which McGizmo has already done a pretty good job of in such a short time).

Well on the positive side, hopefully we will see prices of Luxeon lights dive :)

I was thinking maybe Huntlight or Lumapower may make some soon. But i doubt it since Luxeons are manufactured in china so they have easier access, but Cree are still being manufactured in the US rite?

@ peacefuljeffrey

check out the XR-E thread. It here in the LED section.

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened

What was that other one that everyone was crazy waiting for, about six months or more ago?

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened

Yes, that's the one. I haven't been on here very regularly in the last few months. Whatever happened to that?

(Bear in mind, I may enjoy flashlights, but most of the electronics jargon and stuff goes WAY over my head.)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

:grin2::grin2::grin2:

What visual improvement will they be over what we have now ????

Are they a spot ...... or more floody / with no donut hole ????

Do they inherently have more throw ????

What are the actual benefits they will provide ???

K2 doesn't seem to be such a big hit ..... so far .

......................... TMG/:grin2:

x2x3x2

Banned

Yes, the K2 was a dissapointment, which is why they are selling so cheap.

Well on paper it says that XR-E can reach 160 lumens at 700mA.
In real life McGizmo managed to get an XR-E running at 750mA brighter and better tint than a Surefire L6 running Lux V at 900mA.

So i guess the advantages would be effeciency. As to Beam characteristics like floody/spot/doughnuts, it'll probably depend on how well designed the reflector is to take advantage of the 75 degree beam of the XR-E.

Regardless i'm still gona take my chances n install one in my FT-01 when they finally arrive :)

havand

Enlightened

I've ordered them, but i'm getting worried about mounting them on existing lux ready lights. Not gonna be as fun as i thought, i think.

daveman

Enlightened

x2x3x2 said:
Well on the positive side, hopefully we will see prices of Luxeon lights dive :)
Yes, that is what I'm talking about!
x2x3x2 said:
I was thinking maybe Huntlight or Lumapower may make some soon. But i doubt it since Luxeons are manufactured in china so they have easier access, but Cree are still being manufactured in the US rite?

@ peacefuljeffrey
Since I've bought many, many Chinese made lights lately, I can balance the scale by buying Cree for the next generation of LED lights.

All this talk of XR-E is making my slate of Luxeons-to-get look uninspiring. I definitely won't consider any LuxIII that's below a U-bin now.

*Retired*

x2x3x2 said:
Yes, the K2 was a dissapointment, which is why they are selling so cheap.

Well on paper it says that XR-E can reach 160 lumens at 700mA.
In real life McGizmo managed to get an XR-E running at 750mA brighter and better tint than a Surefire L6 running Lux V at 900mA.

So i guess the advantages would be effeciency. As to Beam characteristics like floody/spot/doughnuts, it'll probably depend on how well designed the reflector is to take advantage of the 75 degree beam of the XR-E.

Regardless i'm still gona take my chances n install one in my FT-01 when they finally arrive :)

Besides the XR-E running at a lower current, keep in mind, the Lux V also runs at twice the voltage. So, you are probably looking at roughly half the voltage and *also* 17% less current. So it is doing it with less than half the power consumed.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost

I was thinking about the same thing. I was looking the companies that have made the quickest responses to change. I thinking maybe Inova might do something with the XR-E. When nichia came out with the CS Inova was quick to make the change in their lights without otherwise changing their products. I think their lights would be easy for them to change over to the birghter XR-E. Also, Brinkman and Dorcy have both jumped on the LED band wagon and I don't think it would take much to adapt some of their current designs to the XR-E. Fenix might crank one out in a few months too. Surefire I think would spend more time on the research and design of a new product rather than taking an old design and just replacing the reflector/optic.

ledvador

Newly Enlightened

Sorry but some of us seem to forget the new ARC LS will be aviable in few weeks... or may be the new HDS. Therfore Arc flashlight was the first compagnie using a Luxeon in flashlight whith higt standart in qualitie. I 'll bet my shirt Peter will be the first in this new way.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as factory-manufactured lights, I think that the first to use an XR-E will be... Mag!

Just kidding. I'm going with Fenix. I'd like a 1xCR123A, dual output pocket rocket, at something like 35mA/700mA (8L/160L) for low/high.

WITH THICK ANO!

x2x3x2

Banned

@ledvador

Yeah ur probably right, but i was hoping not to spend over $100 for a XR-E torch. ARC probably could have gotten away with this before as it was pretty much the first.

However now that Fenix has come into the market with good quality lights at a fraction of the cost. Ill be rooting for Fenix ;)

Keep in mind that the driver requirements and cost of the XR-E emitter itself aren't much different than thseo for Luxeons.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened

x2x3x2 said:
Which company do u guys think will come out with a XR-E torch?

Definitely not "misFire" :p or perhaps there are some of u guys who have already made your own? Seems that McGizmo already got his hands on an XR-E earlier than the rest and output at 750mA kicks a L6 with Lux V at 900mA. Tint is also better.

That's 750mA with 3 volts vs. 900mA with 9 volts, so 2.25 watts
vs. 8.1 watts if I understand correctly.

x2x3x2

Banned

its not that straight forward with the 3V, there are boost circuits/regulator in there. if u want the details please ask McGizmo n he will fill u in with the exact details.

but the crude comparison further emphasizes the superiority of the XR-E :)