Will the Fenix L1T handle a 3.7 v Li-Ion??

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Just wondering if anyone has tried the L1T on a Li-Ion, and Im sure they have...

Can I expect to do this without damage to my light....

Or would it be simpler to simlpy buy the CR123 body for it????

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm probably going to get a CR123A body for my L2T, but I don't think they're shipping just yet.

According to FR, the L_T head can handle up to 4V. Since Li-Ions come hot off the charger at around 4.2V, there's probably a good chance that you'd fry your light. If you first used the cell in another light enough to bring it down to a safe level, it would probably defeat the purpose of using a flat-output, high-capacity cell in the first place.

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I have no problem with mine. The package that came with the light said that it could be used with a 14500 lithium. It didn't say anything about a 3.0 volt cell.
Mike

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at the packaging of the L2T (same head as L1T) as I write this, and it says:

Note: The input voltage of Fenix L2T is 0.9V~3.7V

The compatible battery types listed are "Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium." I think that the "Lithium" refers to Energizer L91s, which are rated at around 1.5V (1.7V, according to some). If you're using Li-Ions and your light works, vetkaw63, that's excellent.

ropeman

Newly Enlightened
I just tried it this morning, unfortunately, due to the extra length of a 14500, you will lose the low level light setting.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
ropeman said:
I just tried it this morning, unfortunately, due to the extra length of a 14500, you will lose the low level light setting.

But it was bright, right?

ropeman

Newly Enlightened
Oh yes, about as bright, but with a different tint, as my Orb Raw.

I'm now thinking that it may have been the over voltage from a recently charged cell that was overpowering the regulation cicuit and causing the loss of second stage light. It's been running a while and the measured voltage of the cell is 3.68v I've had intermittent low light (i.e. it will drop to a lower light level when the bezel is turned, just not all the time and not predictably) since it dropped to around 3.8v. I'm waiting until it gets down to around 3.5v to see if the loss of second stage light is due to the cell size or the reg being overdriven.

Apologies for my terrible technique by the way, I'm involved in materials inspection, not electronics, this is just for fun.

ropeman

Newly Enlightened
the protection circuit on the AW 14500 cut in somewhere around 3.5v after about an hour and a bit of runtime. The second stage never became predictable.

Small gain in light output for a big drop in runtime. You choose.

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I ordered the cr123 body from Fenix-store today. Since I already have ample supply of rcr123's I figured this would be the best way, for me. I will be impatiently waiting for them to arrive..........:banghead: