Home Depot match & beat, burden of proof is higher than ever now

Fry's Electronics have Silver Maglite 4D LED on sale for $19.99 until 10/24/06 and in silver only. The ad doesn't stipulate color, but it does include a PLU # and it is linked with the silver one. I took the black one to the counter and it rang up as $39.99. You can get a printed quote on any product in Fry's by taking the item to their components counter.

Home Depot now have very strict exactness and burden of proof rules. They will exploit every available loophole to get out of having to price match it. You used to be able to show them a reasonable proof or have them verify that "this make and model is how much", but the new burden of proof is that they have to be able to verify that the competitor is selling the same item with the same UPC for less. They gave me a tough time, because the quote didn't show the UPC code or the product part #(not store specific PLU) and I was told the store reserves to match the item to such exactness that UPC must match exactly. Here's the catch. Many merchandise are suffixed like PRODUCT-xyz-S, S being the suffix for color and such and would have a different UPC code. Even if you bring in a written proof lacking UPC code #, they will call the competitor with the UPC code number. If the UPC for UPC match fails, there is no match.

Around here, Home Depot and Lowe's are usually within 1/2 mile of each other, sometimes they're on the same piece of property. They exploit just that to avoid having to match and beat eachother. Lowe's only carry Mag in Pewtar, Home Depot only in black, therefore even for the same light in same spec, the color would make the UPC different.

Amnesia Wes

Newly Enlightened
It could easily be, that Fry's has an excessive amount of 'silver' models and are just 'dumping' them at the low $19.99 price.

Home Depot will not want to match the price on all it's models, so they will only match the price if it is the 'silver' model.

I suggest you take the ad to Home Depot, buy the silver one at the $19.99 'match' price and take it home. (DO NOT put batteries in it and use it.)

Tomorrow, take it back to Home Depot, tell them it was a gift for your Mom, and she doesn't like the silver color, an exchange it for a black one.:whistle: (Don't forget to take along your receipt.)
Good luck.