Get in your PJ's!

x2x3x2

Banned
I just opened up my FT-01PJ, and noticed the emitter module is slightly different from the earlier ones. I think the PJ has lots of mod potential. Y? Here's what i think makes it a good all rounder light. Below are some of the reasons why i like it. Start experimenting n post your results! At $33 it probably wont hurt that bad if u messed one up anyway ;)

Body is modular, all the parts come apart by unscrewing without effort. Also the machining is quite good. Thick walls, nice threads. Pretty clean look. PJ takes 18650 without any problems too.

pjopened.jpg

The head has a retaining ring which can also be unscrewed to easily swap the lense with a better one. There are 2 notches which u can use tweezers or needle nose pliers to unscrew.

Mod Idea: If u have access to a glass cutter, buy yourself a Hoya HMC UV(O) camera filter and cut it down to size. This is cheaper than those custom made lenses and much better quality in my opinion. Looking directly thru it u would think there wasnt even a glass there, the multi coating is very good.

pjhead.jpg

The reflector is pretty standard with a good textured coating. I tried rubbing it with my thumb quite hard with no chipping or peeling of the polished coat.

pjreflector.jpg

The emitter module itself is slightly different as i mentioned, from earlier models. It's easier to remove the emitter only, while still maintaining its original driver.

Mod Idea: Swap in a Cree XR-E, from the info provided by Huntlight, the cricuit feeds 770mA/3.7V to the emitter. Slightly overdriving the XR-E by 70mA but shouldn't be a problem since the heatsinking on the PJ works very well.

pjemitter.jpg

The tail end has a nice ergonomic design for cigar style grip. The clicky is pretty stiff which i like, the rubber is thick n rigid compared to Fenix and definitely more so than Liteflux.

pjcigar.jpg

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Get in you PJ's!

Not necessarily recomended, but I removed that silver window retaining ring from my light and just screwed the two halves of the head back together. My light is .196" shorter now :)

Thermal transfer seems to not be changed.

x2x3x2

Banned
Re: Get in you PJ's!

i think the point of the retaining ring is that u wont accidentally scratch the glass lense upon screwing on the head and also not accidentally crush the lense jus in case u happen to screw the head on too tight i think. With or without still works fine :)