U2 Strobe Effect

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, they do that. Mine does it with nearly dead primary cells, but it doesn't do it with a depleted rechargeable li-ion. Go figure.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stuck a pair of mostly dead batteries from my Spy into the U2 and it strobed on level 5 and 6 (the highest levels) but not the lower levels. I guess this is a good feature. On the spy level 4,5, and 6 were all the same brightness. If you didn't notice they were all the same you might flip on the light and think the batteries were good. Of course on the spy you have to go through 4 and 5 to get to 6 so its kind of obvious.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's a low battery issue. Might also be a contact problem. Always vanishes with new batteries for me.

It seems to be more common with BatteryStation CR123As, maybe because they drop lower in voltage during discharge, compared to SF CR123As.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup Battery station brand here. One seemed to have a lot more charge left than the other when I stuck them in the HDS to kill them off.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I JUST finished the first set of cells in my U2, and it strobed on all levels except 1 and 2. That was with Surefire cells. I checked their open-circuit voltage and it was 2.90v, so I'll have to do some further load-testing of the cells to see if they're really dead or if there's a contact issue with my U2.

Latest posts