L.E.D. Cigarette Lighter Flashlight

Stormdrane

Enlightened
I tried searching to see if anyone had mentioned this before but didn't see anything. I bought this little guy at wallyworld this morning($6.84). You plug it into your vehicles cigarette lighter socket to charge it up. It has a soft blue glow while charging and will go dark when it's reached a full charge. It has an on/off button on the side to light up the 7 LEDs when you pull it out of the socket. I'm not sure on the runtime, but I've charged mine up and it's already been running almost an hour without noticeable dimming, so that's already better than a similar lighter flashlight I threw away after 5 years of service. The older one that I found at Sharper Image back in 1998, lasted about 5 years and wouldn't hold a charge anymore. I broke it when I tried to open it up to check out the guts. The Sharper Image light was ok, incandescent, and was a good bit larger and not as bright as this new one. It's easier to use this than reaching back behind me to turn on my truck's dome light when I need to look at something inside the truck.

cigarettelighterLED.jpg

cigarettelighterled1.jpg

cigarettelighterLED2.jpg

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had something like of these in my VW Vanagon. It was a gray incan with a red slider on the side. Outside of the lighter socket it widened up into an oval section about and inch deep and about 2.5 inches wide. It worked great until it wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Wish I still had it. It could use a good, NiMH and Luxeon upgrade!

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW not a bad price. I keep a twin task 2L in each vehicle. Was it in the automotive section? I may make a trip to wallyworld!!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have the same light JimmyM described. I liked it. It had one of those old "penlight" bulbs with the built-in lens. After a while, the battery just wouldn't hold a charge. I think I still have it, actually. You're right, JimmyM, it would be a neat light to mod!

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
GOT ONE!! While I was at wallyworld to get some batteries I saw one of these in the auto section and grabbed it. Not bad. When the batteris go kaput I can make something else out of the LEDS!!! Will keep it in the vehicle just in case. I am assuming it has rechargeable nicads in it due to the low cost. ($6.84)

DrDark

Newly Enlightened
YEA! Thanks to both Stormdrane & Wallyworld for this light!
I walked right over to where the floor mats were and right in the accesory rack I found it. I bought them ALL. I will give them as gifts, well all but the one that now rides in my car.
THANKS AGAIN!

Myself

Newly Enlightened
There's a similar product at Target in a multi-pack with some other lights. I'll snag details if I stop by there tomorrow. I wonder what kind of battery they're using? Seems to me that an 18650 would nestle snugly in there with a little regulator.... :)