Rollover properties popup in windows explorer

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I use windows explorer I like to roll my pointer over a thumbnail image and read the image properties. Sometimes the popup stays visible, and othertimes the popups disappear before I can even read it. Usually clicking on the window near the thumbnail to activate the window will correct this, but not always.

Who knows anything about this feature? I'd like it to be more reliable. As it is, I never know whether I will see the popup or not.
-----
OK, I figured it out. My trac ball moves too fast. As the popup is showing, the final movements of the trac ball cancel the popup. Nudging the ball slightly re-activates the popup. It also seems like 'rollover selection' of thumbnails is slightly delayed, this might be causing the problem, as the popup is instant, and the rollover selecting is slightly delayed. When the image is selected the popup disappears.

It seems like the touchpad works better for this feature because the pointer stays still once the thumbnail is reached and the finger lifted from the pad. Well, I don't like touchpads, they make my finger tip numb from all the tapping.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your tapping too hard on the TP or have the tap sensitivity set wrong.
IIRC TweakUI will let you adjust the time those stay up.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Popups are annoying. Usually I wish they would go away. Sometimes I see one I want to read. Of course it disappears before I have read half of it.

I don't see how you guys can use anything but a mouse. I once tried to use a trackball on a laptop. It was such a painful experience, I still break out in a rash whenever I think about it.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm clumsy. I wanted to click on a desktop icon. The ball would spin freely with the slightest touch. It would spin like the button on a sh*thouse door. I would carefully move the arrow so it pointed to the icon. Then I would push the button with my thumb. But while I was pushing the button, the ball would move and I'd click on the wrong icon.

Last edited:

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
A trackball or touchpad has a learning cure just like a mouse. I used to see people sit down at a computer for the first time and have the same problems with the mouse. A little time on any and you leran how to operate it. I've grown to love the touchpad, won't use anything but now. Sit down at someone else's computer and have ti reach over for a mouse and I'm like "thats so commodore 64, give me a touchpad"