Diary of a Flashaholic

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been three whole weeks since I've bought any flashlights. I have been very proud of that sobriety.
smile.gif

But, not having attended any 12-step meetings in awhile, I suddenly, while driving, felt my steering wheel pulling strongly in a consistently NE direction, and wound up in the Big Wally's parking lot in Duarte, Cal.
After sitting there for 10 minutes or so, without cellphone, or small change for payphone to call for help from any recovering flashaholics, I wandered into the store......
- Just to look around.
tongue.gif

Next thing I know, I'm in the sporting goods dept., and WHAT do I see??
1. Shiny new Legend LXs (3 of 'em).
wink.gif
(!)
2. Dorcy CoolBlue LEDlight
3. That little folding EV white LED lantern.
Something just came over me and made me grab 1 of each, and before I knew it, I was at the cash register.
blush.gif

-Total damages: $39.60 incl.tax

Comments:
-Legend, as claimed is Danged Bright for being only 5+1/2" long and costing 20 bucks.....
-Folding LED lantern-brighter than I expected!:>)
-CoolBlue..Wimpy (to use technical term) output-for this flashlight's size
frown.gif

But I do need the reflector for another Dorcy light (it melted with a .85A bulb in it), and I need that LED for my Eveready ArcWhite.

I think I feel a little better now, and have promised myself NOT to buy any more lights today!
The bright side: -I've got some brand new lights to shine around , now that it's dark...
wink.gif
grin.gif

-One thing is for sure, if you're trying to curb spending, reading CPF forums is certainly not the way to help yourself do it.....:p

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
Bummer! You scored an LX at Wally's Mart! No fair - mine still doesn't have 'em yet - d'oh! I better try the 800 number trick.

But I did satisfy my habit - I got a Lightwave 3000 today! Now if I can just figure out how to open the dang thing! (More like get enough muscle to twist off the head)

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Artie Choke:
Bummer! You scored an LX at Wally's Mart! No fair - mine still doesn't have 'em yet - d'oh! I better try the 800 number trick.

But I did satisfy my habit - I got a Lightwave 3000 today! Now if I can just figure out how to open the dang thing! (More like get enough muscle to twist off the head)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Choke
tongue.gif

When you get that light apart, try dabbing a little silicone based furniture polish on the threads and the O-ring(s), so it'll go together/come apart without having to get rough with it next time....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

mad.gif
I guess I'll just sit around the house and yank my crank while I wait for the local Wallyworld to get in the Lx's they claimed to have ordered several weeks ago!
blush.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClarkKent:
mad.gif
I guess I'll just sit around the house and yank my crank while I wait for the local Wallyworld to get in the
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like somebody needs to buy a chastity belt before there's an "accident" while waiting for the wily and elusive Legend LX to become domesticated.
blush.gif
shocked.gif
wink.gif

As for myself, today was no different than any other. Wake up, jump in the shower, start some coffee, and then get on the net.
Mess with some "interesting" LEDs before sending them back to their owner. Wait for my check. Mailman came, but forgot to bring the checks.
frown.gif

So I gather up the last of my money, and head out to the local Rite-Aid for some coffee and a few other items (it's the cheapest place to buy groceries for miles around).
Pass by the Christmas light aisle, then slam on the brakes and throw it in reverse.
Did I see the word "LED" on one of those boxes?
Yup... on a box of Foreverbrights. My hand automatically reaches up for them, but it's strapped down to the armrest. A ripping fabric noise is heard, and the next thing you know a box of Foreverbrights is rattling around in the footboard of my wheelchair.
Then I grab my can of Maxwell House and pay for my items... by the time I get home, I've almost got the Foreverbrights hung up already.
smile.gif

Tomorrow will probably be similar, at least if the checks come before the bank closes.
More Foreverbrights... I figure if I buy enough of them, I can play "musical bulbs" and make some solid color sets out of several multicolor sets.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

From the reports I hear, it looks like Clark may be "yanking" for quite awhile.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
blush.gif
frown.gif
smile.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, I'm just a Brit. (From overseas, d'y'know ... )

This *Yank Cranking*, I'm not sure I understand what it means - is it an American thing, I wonder.

Let's hope ClarkKent has some time left over for increasing the number of "Intellectual" torch posts on the board.

I look forward to it ......

Yours Moderately,
lightlover
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was a little off-topic there.
But it is "Chit Chat", after all, so it's not quite as inportant as on the "Intelligent Forums".

I gotta admit, since I joined CPF, the number of lights I have has zoomed up.

I spent about $75 on some lights recently. Just cheap things, about 5 of them. Not very costly at all. Well, I need them: for Research Purposes. (And they are very interesting things). I am not quite yet a torch collector. Nope, I'm a design and engineering student. With an interest in hand-held illumination. Which is pretty great, because I love torches.

lightlover
blush.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Last night, I was sans SureFire. I went out on the p*ss/pull and failed on both accounts mainly because I've hurt my foot and using it hurt. Obviously, I was off the rino-strength pain killers so I could drink, but the alcohol didn't make a difference.

So here I am in this club. PhotonII turq in my mouth, freakin' out the females - smiling like a sheep. Of course, the PhotonII will stay on when it gets wet, and because I was drinking with it still in my mouth, it's still lit, but green and not as bright.

I've got to get me a waterproof one that flashes!

The club was so smokey, that the C2T would have produced the awesomist beam but as the security gave me a good grope on the way in, and asked me to turn my mobile off, I doubt that the C2T would have got through and I'll be damned if some dumb-a**ed bouncer was taking my SureFires.

I plan to meet up with J*hn soon, to give him some Lubes. The batteries in my SureFires are being presevered. New sets for the M6 and 12PM and M2... He'll be the first to experience the highs!

Chit Chat...

Al

[Moderator Edit - Asterisks substituted where *appropriate*. (Mostly a J*KE, Al knows why ... ((As will anyone who reads the SureF*re DB )) ...) ]

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightlover. Re; yanking the crank. In the American Heritage Dictionary, Second College Edition(sorry, no Oxford on hand), yank is to pull or jerk. I leave the remaimder for others to fill in.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The Brit's would refer "yanking" (the Yankee term) as "*******".

Does that make it clear enough?
shocked.gif

(Lightly Edited by M*d*r*t*r.)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
There are probably a dozen terms used to describe m*#@%*^!*ing. (looks like the marquee on a Q*Bert) and probably at least as many ways to do it.
blush.gif

I've got enough to keep me busy around here while waiting for new lights. Like fixing the website, re-reviewing older lights, picking pieces of broken light bulbs out of the rug, hanging up Christmas lights, answering e-mail, throwing dead "AA" cells at passing cars, and other such activities.
Who has time for m*#@%*^!*ing anymore?
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dim Bulb,
old chap, my apologies.
(The asterisks represent the fact that my elderly Great-Aunt reads the boards.)

Let's allow this particular aspect of Topic: Diary of a Flashaholic to come to a happy natural end.

lightlover
smile.gif
smile.gif

Oh, and re: National Characteristics -

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> USA + UK + all the Rest of the World = CPF
<LI> I think we Brits and you Foreigners are very similar in many ways ......
[/list]

wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

smile.gif
My apologies to any reader that may be offended.

It won't happen again.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
That's funny... I never knew the "W" word was a naughty word.
shocked.gif

Finally got to today's mail (the postal kind) and wouldn't you know it, more lights.
More lights to review, stomp on, flush down the fishtank, and finally, hang up & leave running all year.

Will my "flashaholism" ever be met with a cure?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
That's funny... I never knew the "W" word was a naughty word.
shocked.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't particularly.
Policy on CPF's "Off Topic" posts has yet to be set.
Then, it can be discussed and evolve, until it suits most of the people, most of the time.

lightlover
frown.gif
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
Policy on CPF's "Off Topic" posts has yet to be set.
Then, it can be discussed and evolve, until it suits most of the people, most of the time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it doesn't bother me if the "W" word stays naughty and is not allowed here.
It's not a word I use every day... for that matter, I doubt I even use that word even once every year or two.
blush.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

can I drive my Wankel engine powered car through here?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
can I drive my Wankel engine powered car through here?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Yes Ted, as long as you're not spanking your monkey while making sharp turns
tongue.gif