Lose weight with Powernoodle

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
In January, 2005, Powernoodle started a weight loss thread. Powernoodle wanted to drop from 203 to 165. Powernoodle failed.

Powernoodle is back for Round 2 with a renewed sense of vigor. He is 44 years old, 5'11" and 198.5 lbs. Sedentary, with a gut and Manb**bs. Has a bloated, fat pumkin head like Ted Kennedy. Looks and feels too old for 44. Eats huge amounts of fastfood, soft drinks, you name it. All the bad stuff. He can only do 14 pushups. Used to do 50, 70, whatever he felt like. Time for a change. Powernoodle has a hot 38 year old wife, and she doesn't need to be married to a walrus.

Powernoodle now has an elliptical machine, and has started 30 minutes daily at ~75% of maximum pulse rate for my age. Intends to increase to 45 minutes as endurance increases. Also hopes to add light weight training, if he can figure out what and how, using dumbbells (no bar or bench) and Mrs. Powernoodle's Total Gym (the Chuck Norris thing).

Based on info he see on the forums at www.johnstonefitness.com, he's started limiting his intake to 1500 calories per day spread across 6 small meals every 3 hours. "Clean" food as they say, i.e., low fat protein (tuna, salmon, chicken breast), low glycemic carbs (whole wheat, veggies, etc.) and a little so-called good fat. Only on it 2 days so far, but this "every three hours" thing does seem to keep him from getting so hungry that quit, which has been his problem in the past.

If anyone else would like to join in on the fun, now is the time.

peace

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few more tips:

Take the stairs if you have time. Don't just take them tho give it a slight jog.
Don't drink pop at all. Water is fat free, sugar free and contains 0 calories.
When you park somewhere, park farther and go for a walk. Or start biking more.
Since we're flashoholics, more night time walks with the flashlight(heck take your wife with you, you can explain to her what the light does. Plus ladies love a moon light walk).
When you watch TV do some free weights like 10-20 lbs per arm. Or hell just some 2L popbottles.

Hey I'm 19 and 170lbs I might join you on your quest to be healthier. Those things helped me not get so out of shape while in University.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went from 238lbs to 175lbs in about 2 years. huge lifestyle change. Try to run 10-15 miles a week. Have not wanted mcdonalds in 3-4 years, fast food just tastes greasy anymore. I 2nd tebor on water always and the small meals often is the key. Being a little hungry is part of it, you are trying to lose weight. You can do it.
ps. best compact dumbell system for the price http://powerblock.com/
the super quick weight changes make working out less of a chore.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Powernoodle - if you have the ability, bike to work... I started because I really disliked waiting for and riding the CTA trains in Chicago, and haven't been on one since. I bike year round, rain snow sleet dirt whatever. I found working out - in a gym, at home, whatever - to be like a chore, whereas when I bike to work, I'm going somewhere.

I'm also a vegetarian (actually *gulp* a vegan) which never gets good reception on CPF, aka Ribs Central :nana: but it works for me!

You could also pull a Forrest Gump and run from that Secret Underground Bunker of yours across the country.

Either way, good luck man...

john

turbodog

Flashaholic
Find a "treat" that's decent on calories. If you're a sugar hound like I am you have gotta have a little something sweet.

Or just go pester the missus every time you want a little something 'sweet'.

;)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck Powernoodle. That is almost exactly what I did. I'm one year younger then you, maybe a half inch shorter and a few years ago went from 205 or so to 165. No magic tricks, just ate healthy and a lot less. However I found it pretty hard to stay super skinny so now my weight hovers around 175. A little flab and I don't like it but not enough to be unhealthy I don't think.

When I'm in shape, I really like to hit the treadmill hard and do such things as raise elevation and increase speed to get good interval training where I'm sucking wind near the point of exhaustion. Can you get a strong workout like that on an elliptical machine? I'm sure it would be easier on my knees and flat feet which bother me.

mosport

Enlightened
Congrats on the decision to change your lifestyle Powernoodle!

Following proper nutrition is key to achieving results, looks like you've got a good start! My advice would be to pick up The Sports Nutrition Guidebook by Nancy Clark, or any of the general nutrition titles from her publisher Human Kinetics.

Try adding some additional cardio activities such as running or swimming to your routine other than the eliptical machine. If you plateau with one form of exercise, switch to another to stay active and motivated. You'll be working different muscle groups, breaking up the boredom and there's a good chance you'll find a sporting activity out of all this! Get Mrs. Powernoodle involved, why not make it family time as well?

Drinking lots of water to stay hydrated while active and progressing to moderate weight bearing exercise will also speed up your metabolism. It doesn't have to be strictly weight lifting, calisthenics like your push ups example are excellent and can be done anywhere.

Keep a daily food and exercise/activity journal and you'll be amazed at your caloric intake. As your body composition changes, your caloric needs will shift as well so the journals will help adjust your nutrition.

Think the basics are covered, Mosport on the other hand needs to gain back some mass... I have a fast metabolism, clean eating is my lifestyle.

Stay motivated and focussed! Best of luck on your journey, keep us updated with your results too!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:
Can you get a strong workout like that on an elliptical machine?

Yeah, its basically like running in place without as much joint pounding. You can do it fast enough that you are sucking wind if you so desire. We also have a Schwinn Airdyne and a Nordic Track. For me the elliptical is best. I turn on the tv to keep my mind off of things, and you can watch the heart rate monitor to adjust your intensity.

peace

Topper

Flashaholic*
jch79 said:
Powernoodle - if you have the ability, bike to work... I started because I really disliked waiting for and riding the CTA trains in Chicago, and haven't been on one since. I bike year round, rain snow sleet dirt whatever. I found working out - in a gym, at home, whatever - to be like a chore, whereas when I bike to work, I'm going somewhere.

I'm also a vegetarian (actually *gulp* a vegan) which never gets good reception on CPF, aka Ribs Central :nana: but it works for me!

You could also pull a Forrest Gump and run from that Secret Underground Bunker of yours across the country.

Either way, good luck man...

john

I have never seen a "anti vegan" thread and if I did I would be quick to defend your right to let me have the last chunk of meat on the spit.
Topper :)

cy

Flashaholic
stay the course PN!

I need to get motivated to lose weight too... missed my scheduled bike ride from canada to mexico this summer due to work.

feeling kinda of bloated lately...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I know how hard it is to lose weight. I walk a few miles almost every day, cycle a few times a week, yet have been utterly unable to lose the 25 or so pounds I want to. I also pretty much avoid fatty foods and red meat. I've greatly cut down on the soda and snacks. I'm open to suggestions at this point since it seems I'm doing everything I should and the weight just isn't coming off.

BTW, I never had a weight problem until I got a job where I was forced to sit for at least 8 hours a day. Prior to that my weight fluctuated between 160 and 170 which is OK for me. I'm 5'9" with quite a bit of muscle mass from cycling so I actually look a little thin at that weight. However, I'm not at all happy with my present 190 to 200. Yes, it's spread evenly rather than all in my stomach which is good but it feels like I'm always carrying around a bag of cement.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can stick to that 1500 calories a day plan, you'll get there. Especially, with a little exercise. Watching TV while excercising is the ticket! I used to that, and it'd pass the time very easily. The most I've ever lost was 30 pounds, but I've gained it all back. I always tell myself that I'll do it again, sometime. I'm sure I will. Good luck. Man boobs, eh? What's your cup size? (just kidding)

I was once a solid 160lbs, and now I'm a round 220 at only 5' 9.5". You think you're in bad shape? I'm only 34. I hope to be in better shape that you currently are, when I reach 44, but if I am in the same shape as you, I still think it'll be a blessing (I will have lost weight).

Good luck.

Last edited:

iced_theater

Enlightened
I just started eating less calories overall. I've sort of plateaued though so I should exercise and start losing again. Went from a size 40W32L pants and XL shirts to 36W32L pants and medium shirts.

Age 24
height 5'11"
male
started at 240 lbs in April of 2006
current 195 lbs October 2006

Greta

Flashaholic
PN... this is a great idea! And you'll be surprised how well just having this thread will keep you motivated. It's that whole "accountability" thing... ;) I started a thread a few years ago... HERE and kept it going for as long as I could... about a year. I took pictures along the way so I could actually *SEE* my results. I stopped with this final photo montage HERE.

That was 2 and a half years ago. Since then, I lost even more weight and actually *did* reach what Weight Watchers would consider my "goal weight" at the beginning of this year. (I didn't do it through WW though... decided to have a nervous breakdown instead... alot quicker!! WEEEEEE!!! :duh2: )

Anyway... I've managed to keep the weight off through just plain eating sensibly and I walk about a mile and a half each evening with my husband. The distance isn't much but more than half of the way is up hill... so it can get ya suckin' wind pretty quickly.

Keep it up PN... and keep this thread going! It's a good thing for *ALL* of us! :twothumbs

KingSmono

Enlightened
Hey PN, good luck man! Make sure you post daily, and be honest. That keeps you accountable for your mishaps, and discourages you from cheating!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that 1500 calories is very low for someone ~200 lbs, 5'11". Yes, you're going to lose lots of WEIGHT by forcing your body into such a catabolic state... but that isn't going to be just fat... you're going to lose a lot of lean body mass (muscle) as well.

Read question 2 on John Stone's FAQ... he admits that when he first started, he ate WAY too few calories, and he recommends that anyone just starting out eat a MINIMUM of 10 times their body weight in calories each day. Just some food for thought. Good luck!

-Allen

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple little secrets from one who is the same basic weight 40 years after high school. Don't eat big dinners or don't eat dinner at all - just snack. If you eat a dinner eat it as early as possible and try to keep it light. Eat quality organic food if possible - you are what you eat. But allow yourself to eat snacks that arent' too bad (there are some tasty things out there that won't kill you). Doing exercise will get you in better shape and is highly encouraged but it is NOT the best way to lose weight. Losing weight is all about what and how you eat.