NEW Christmas Displays (mini) site- NOW ONLINE!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please excuse me for advertising this here, but I thought some of you`s lot may like to see none-the-less. If it`s not OK, mr Moderator- please let me know and I`ll remove this post.

It`s taken me over a month to finish (in my spare time) but finally it`s ready. A nearly-complete archive of my annual xmas lights from the very beginnings, right up to the present day and beyond. At the moment I`m busy getting 2001`s lights ready, and in the new year it will be updated again to show all the photos I will inevitably take. Plus, in a few days the Webcam goes online giving a day to day look at how they hold up to the inevitable British storms (!).

Anyway, please find it all and more at.....

<center>electriclights.tripod.com/displays</center>

I hope you enjoy looking at my photo archives- I certainly enjoyed making it all even if it did take 4 times longer than I thought. So many pictures to write about.....

......now I better get stuck into the Torch Reviews site!

grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
shocked.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Please excuse me for advertising ...... If it`s not OK, mr Moderator- please let me know and I`ll remove this post.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Curator, that isn't advertising.
That's a public service.

Thanks for the info, Chris.

There's a guy who lives about 10 minutes drive away from me, who has about $7,500 worth of Xmas decorations around his house every year.
Some of it is in doubtfully *good* taste ......

lightlover
shocked.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

$7,500? Ha, that's nearly what Chris pays every year just for shipping
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

(the ForeverBrights are on their way to Wales!
smile.gif
)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
$7,500? Ha, that's nearly what Chris pays every year just for shipping
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

(the ForeverBrights are on their way to Wales!
smile.gif
)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an unbelievable amount to spend on Christmas lights!
More than I make in a year - and by a considerable margin. I think I'll keep happy with the 3,000 or so bulbs I have going now, and not add much too much more to it this year. Maybe add another thousand bulbs by next year.

Figure that ordinary Christmas light sets can be found for about $5 for a set of 200.
For $7,500 you could buy about 300,000 bulbs!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I'd hate to have to pay that guy's electric bill come January 2nd.
mad.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good grief, that`s a lotta lights!

But you have to remember that British lights- especially the outdoor kind, cost about 10-15 times (per bulb) more than US types. According to European legislation, they`d either be direct mains powered ones that need thick double insulated cord and total waterproofing of each socket (less common these days), or theyre the miniature kind that have to run on 24 volts- so each set needs a relatively expensive 24v transformer.

Typically 100 low voltage mini outdoor lights cost £10-20 and you`d be hard pushed to find a plain, steady-burning 100-set anyway (most seem to be 80 or so, and twinkling/flashing ones). Let alone try to find a LV outdoor mini set in all one colour- it`s multi or clear only, it seems!

$7500? That`s about £5000. Quick bit of maths (assuming light-prices in around the middle of that price range) says that he could have 30000 bulbs (eek!) assuming plain sets and no expensive wireframes or special lights (like icicle lights- cost even more than plain ones). In the USA assuming $2/100 set (typical supermarket prices for cheapo sets), you`d only have to pay $600 for that many. That`s why most of my 4000 or so bulbs are of US-origin, and the rest have been bought over a few years previously.

Bit of a difference, even though that is just a vague approximation. Just goes to show- everything costs more here!

shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris, I'll try to visit the guy. Maybe I can get some photos and more details.
His house features in local, and even London-wide papers (and TV) most years.

lightlover
smile.gif