Trying to decide if I should buy a Surefire Kroma

OverLord1

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I'm torn between getting the Kroma or simply using the L1 Red that I've got and my E1L and L2. Of course I should buy it on principle alone, but funds are tight and I would have to sell at least one of the above lights in order to get a Kroma. I use my L1 Red for map and chart reading at night but honestly even on low it seems to be too strong. Also the beam pattern is not ideal for this task with the TIR optic on the L1. I've considered getting a U2 instead but most likely I would only use the lowest and the highest setting. The other four setting would likely see little to zero usage.

For those that are more familiar with the Kroma than I, I would like your thoughts on the following:

1)Is the "low" setting on red ideal for reading maps, charts, etc. in total or near darkness? As I said, my L1 on low is still too strong.
2)Do the blue LED's have any other use other than tracking wounded game at night? I'm not a hunter and I don't plan to track blood trails anytime in the near future
smile.gif

3)I've read that the main beam on "high" is not as bright as some had expected for a $300 light. I know it won't be as bright as a U2 on max, but is it at least more useful light than the other TIR optic lights I've seen?
4)Finally, for owners of the Kroma, do you regret your purchase? Has the light been a disappointment or is it everything you hoped it would be?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) yes, map reading would be fine as long as roads are not red..if so, blue will work

2) See above. Read will wash out red text. If that happens on ur map, blue will work.

3) maybe the best TIR optic beam i've seen BUT... I'mnot a fan either way

4) I had it for the passaround and my buddy has one so I didn't spend the $300 nor will I. I just don'thave a need for all the features. if youneed the "swiss army knife" of torches, it's for you

IMHO of course :)

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) It is ideal for map reading and low keyed close up work, but Manzerick advice applies

2) Blue will give you more lumens than red on less current draw=longer runtime

3) The white high beam is better than my Peak Cpf Special Rainier, more useful spill, the Peak has more throw, and as nice or nicer than my U60. In short, it is as nice as any other Lux III out there that is not overdriven.

4) Love my light, would not trade it for anything, and you can get it for less than $240 from Mike at opticshq. So it is not $300.

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
OverLord1 said:
Hi all,
I'm torn between getting the Kroma or simply using the L1 Red that I've got and my E1L and L2. Of course I should buy it on principle alone, but funds are tight and I would have to sell at least one of the above lights in order to get a Kroma. I use my L1 Red for map and chart reading at night but honestly even on low it seems to be too strong. Also the beam pattern is not ideal for this task with the TIR optic on the L1. I've considered getting a U2 instead but most likely I would only use the lowest and the highest setting. The other four setting would likely see little to zero usage.

For those that are more familiar with the Kroma than I, I would like your thoughts on the following:

1)Is the "low" setting on red ideal for reading maps, charts, etc. in total or near darkness? As I said, my L1 on low is still too strong.
2)Do the blue LED's have any other use other than tracking wounded game at night? I'm not a hunter and I don't plan to track blood trails anytime in the near future
smile.gif

3)I've read that the main beam on "high" is not as bright as some had expected for a $300 light. I know it won't be as bright as a U2 on max, but is it at least more useful light than the other TIR optic lights I've seen?
4)Finally, for owners of the Kroma, do you regret your purchase? Has the light been a disappointment or is it everything you hoped it would be?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

The blue works for spotting fluid leaks, especially red tinted hydraulic fluids.

I have a Kroma Mil Spec on order and based on reports I've read I suspect the low settings will still be pretty bright for reading charts...most likely will have to filter the low beams through the fingers just like with the A2 and L1. The standard Kroma with red and blue looks like it might be a better choice than the Mil Spec though.

Richard

jmy808

Newly Enlightened
Here's a thought-
Invest $10.00 for a chance in the Kroma Raffle, if you win you have scored a $300.00 torch that you can evaluate at leisure. Then if you find you do not need the bells and whistles that it brings to the table, either pass it on or sell it on BST.
Regards,
Jay

ps If you do not win, the 10.00 will have been a great contribution to CPF's maint. fund. j