How to remove LOP Se head?

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how to remove the LOP SE head? My LOP SE LED has a 1.5mm size dust sitting on the Luxeon head. It irritates me and I wish to open it up and clean that dust out. It is too small a problem to return the product.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there LA

Mine was easy to open. Took a firm grip on both side of the thread and wahla. It was much easier than my E1 which I am still to budge. If not put some leather between the teeth of some pliers and give that a go. Good luck mate.

PS: This post may be better suited in the LED thread.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
FenixL0P_LRG.png
FenixL0P_LRG.png

Is this the thread you are talking about?

Last edited:

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
The thread is very tight. I could not open it. I've got one plier. I need two pliers to do this job. Will attempt again tonight and let you know how I go. It is tricky though. The cylinder wall seems thin and I am afraid that I may crush it.

Walt175

Enlightened
Did you try heating it with a hair dryer first? Sometimes that will help loosen whatever adhesive was used to glue it.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Walt175 said:
Did you try heating it with a hair dryer first? Sometimes that will help loosen whatever adhesive was used to glue it.

Adhesive :ohgeez:. No wonder it was so difficult. I have put it in the fridge and this trick did not work. I will try heat next. :candle:

Walt175

Enlightened
The first one I got was easy to open. It just unscrewed. The second one I got had some sort of glue on the threads, but it still opened easily. It actually started to unscrew by itself as I was twisting it on and off. I cleaned the threads, and gave it a good oomph to put it back together. It now no longer unscrews while I use it, but I can still unscrew it if I want to.

My Dorcy AAA on the other hand..... even after heating it, I could never get it open. I think it may be time to invest in some strap wrenches. I once mutilated a light by using pliers and having them slip...:ohgeez:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrap a rubberband around each section and grip between your hands and twist. Mine had a lot of sealant (locktite) on it and this worked rather easy with no damage to the light.

C

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
carbine15 said:
that's not the SE.. thats a pic of the plain old normal everyday L0P.
carbine15: You can't possibly tell that from the picture. :) Here is a pic of an L0P and an L0P-SE. Which one is which? :thinking: :confused: :)
l0pqd8.jpg

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
carbine15 said:
that's not the SE.. thats a pic of the plain old normal everyday L0P.

How do you know? The graphics on my se is identical to the regular one on that graphical side. On the other side you will see the "special edition" graphics though.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm if it is like my LOP SE then the only diference is where the holes are drilled for the lanyard. Mine are in the back in reference to the Fenix logo like the top one of the two. This of course, most likely means nothing. Did I guess right ?

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
The bottom is the LOP SE while the top one is the standard one. The SE has a wider thread where I supposed to be able to open. I will try the rubber band trick.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
I twisted it so hard with the rubber band on that the rubber band broke. No luck :(. I will try the heat and rubber band next.

Edit.

Damn hard! I have tried heat + rubber bands + two pliers and it still won't budged. :ohgeez:

Last edited:
You can probably use a crescent wrench on the body since it appears to be hexagonal.

Then, with a sheet of rubber in between (the kind used for mounting bike lights on handlebar is best) use one of those pliers with adjusting screw on one handle that lets you lock it in place.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Apparently there is no standard for lanyard holes, as my L0PSE doesn't look like either one in Lite_me's picture. My guess is the bottom one in the pic is the L0PSE, because of the slightly wider gaps.

Geoff

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle said:
Apparently there is no standard for lanyard holes, as my L0PSE doesn't look like either one in Lite_me's picture. My guess is the bottom one in the pic is the L0PSE, because of the slightly wider gaps.

Geoff
This has been my experence too in dealing with multiple Civictors.
Ding_ding_ding_ding! That is correct. The bottom one is the L0P-SE.
Ledacholic got it right too.
It is hard to tell though by just looking at a picture of a single light.

Latest posts