Why haven't luxeons replaced 5mm's?

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Technically speaking, you can run the low at a much lower brightness and since they would be underdriven that way, have a much much better tint, and they would last much longer as well. Is there a reason besides perhaps prohibitive cost, and perhaps higher current being used? I know that the fenix lop-se can run on low for about 8 hours to 50%, and still be reasonably bright compared to most 5mms, only with a much better tint, as well as the ability to use higher voltages for bright light for multi tasking. Any reasons why? I would really like to see a production model of an arc with similar capabilities using a luxIII or cree xre lamp( if the cree works out).

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
I think cost is the reason. Don't forget they don't just need the led with a lux, you also need a reflector or optic.

Joel

GregWormald

Enlightened
The luxeons are much more expensive than the the 5mm's and a couple of dollars extra at the manufacturing end would make a major difference at retail.
OTOH if you want a ArcAAA with a luxeon, try a MillerMod and you can choose one or two levels and have a further choice as to what each level is. Mine is an EDC.
Greg

jtr1962

Flashaholic
A Luxeon III emitter costs $3.45 and outputs about 80 lumens. It also requires heatsinking and (if you're making a flashlight) either optics or a reflector costing at least another $1. That's $4.45. The same $4.45 will get you about 45 average 5mm LEDs each outputting roughly 3 lumens at 20 mA, or 135 lumens total. Some of the better 5mm output over 5 lumens at 20 mA. If you need less than 80 lumens then the cost factor favors 5mm even more heavily. Basically with 5mm LEDs you can add only as many LEDs as needed in cost increments of roughly $0.10. With the Luxeon, it's either all or nothing. Also, 5mm are generally a year or more ahead of power LEDs in efficiency which again works heavily in their favor if you need a small amount of light. Right now you can buy 5mm LEDs with about 75 to 80 lm/W efficiency. The only power LED which can match that is the Cree XR-E, and then only at 350 mA or less.

I still find 5mm LEDs very useful for a whole host of projects. The cost per lumen plus the ability to size the array exactly to your needs can't be beat. Driving requirements aren't any more complex, either. The same type of step-up regulator which might run a Luxeon can also run a series string of 5mm LEDs.

Esthan

Enlightened
You could also ask,
Why haven't Formula 1 Bolids/BMW/Benz replaced typical Fords, WV's ?

Prize and needs are the keyfactors.

Please note, that an average joe needs a 10$ flashlight once or twice in months, if he even needs it at all (matches, lighters are handy and give some light). Why should he then spend ca. 100$ for something that totally exeeds his needs, like HDS B42, if he can buy a mag and be damn happy with it. Plus he still has 90$ to buy something he needs much more.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Give it some time. All LED lights are coming down in price. Small LED lights are showing up at dollar stores and the more expensive mass-market models will come down accordingly.

Look at some of the cheaper lights Lowes sells ... and it sounds like Home Despot is coming out with a cheap-but-bright line.

Latest posts