Hanging pictures, Hercules Hooks vs. the competition?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've probably all seen the ads for the Hercules Hooks for hanging pictures, shelves, etc. (ad claims holds up to 150 lbs). What do you think and are there better alternatives for hanging pictures while minimizing wall damage. I need to hang several.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I bought some Hercules Hooks a couple of months ago; I have not had any unresolvable problems with them.
The exposed portion of the hook protrudes ~0.5" from the wall; I'm not certain whether or not this can be reduced.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
These things look like a real good idea, and an enterprising person could probably make their own.

Gypsum wallboard can carry a lot of load. These hooks are probably one of the best if you are considering minimal wall damage. It might be possible to increase the capacity if you had some form of insert that would spread the load to a larger diameter hole, such as if you had a little metal tube slightly larger diameter than the hook itself, but this puts a bigger hole in the wall.

I'm pretty conservative so if I'm going to hang a heavy load I will either drill into a stud or I will install heavy duty molly bolts.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only going to hang pictures, max load I would say less then 20 pounds. Amazon reviews has good things to say about the Hercules Hooks. I wish there was a way to hang the pictures without making any holes at all but I would imagine this would involve some sort of adhesive to attach the hanger to the wall and I'm willing to bet can not be removed without tearing up the paint or surface of sheet rock so probably a pin sized hole is better.