Modified Green Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone bought a "modified" green laser pointer. I've heard claims that they some companies are selling grn lasers that put out 10 + mw.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've never heard of such a thing.
Mine "modified" itself, and there are several other known cases of green lasers who's optical characteristics have changed in this manner without user intervention.

However, if one were handy with green laser technology and didn't mind literally ripping open their $250 pointer with no guarantee of positive results, it is theoretically possible to increase the power output by screwing with the intracavity resonator assembly. But you could never again reassemble the pointer and would have to cobble up a new casing (a project box, for example) for the mutilated instrument to live in from that point on.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Recently on EBAY, I saw a guy that sells green modified lasers claiming to get from 10 to 30 mw after modifying...

He even had 4 pictures showing his process with test meter and a press that puts the laser diode back into the tube body...

The bad part? He offers NO WARRANTY.

Anyone else seen this?

Merry XMAS & Happy New Year- Dude
smile.gif

Newly Enlightened
blush.gif
F-Dude is right - checkout Ebay item # 1313616346 and you'll see this guy selling "modified' lasers.

What do you "laser" impressarios think?
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

shocked.gif
Be careful, someone told me that this guy that sells the modified lasers is a 19 yr old kid that lives in Seabrook, TX and doesn't know what he's doing.
blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The modification he's doing will shorten the life of the diode, probably to a matter of hours or even minutes. Don't expect even the best to last more than a hundred hours or so. Modifying the lasing action by increasing current to the diode is *bad*.

The other problem is that other components on the board are usually selected so they are already at their tolerance anyway (to save money), so when you increase the diode current that much (500mA is mentioned), the power transistor(s) and probably a resistor or two will be running well over limits.

No wonder he offers no warranty. He would lose his shirt if he did.
mad.gif

The only way to modify a green pointer that does not affect it electrically or change its usable lifetime is to fuss with the alignment of the Nd: and KTP blocks with respect to the diode face and with each other & other components in the laser cavity. And it takes a lot more than a kid with a DMM & a laser power meter to do that kind of modification.

I could probably do it, but I'd probably screw up a few lasers for every one I got right, and the procedure itself could take days instead of just minutes.
Maximum power would probably be under 20mW, rather than the 60mW he's getting.
There is one known case of a hobbyist doing this to a laser and getting 17mW out of it, and there are several other known cases where the laser parts realigned themselves with no user intervention, as mine did.

I also noticed his Ebay description says his lasers are Class IIIa.
Clearly, they're Class IIIb. Once the FDA and/or CDRH gets wind of this, he'll have his *** in a sling.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.