Survivalist LEDs for rural living

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some friends who live rurally and really need some Lites. They are poor and cannot afford quality Lites.

(edited for length)

Going to give them my SL Twin Tasks...
and

Cannot decide if I should give them my Maglite with MagLED or the one with the Nite Ize module....

A Headlamp based on rechargeable AA is a better idea... Ihe "best" of the "worst" headlamps, certainly not Princeton Tec Apex grade, but some inexpensive Chimart grade headlamp. Garrity maybe?

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I thought about giving away my Gerber Infinity with its super long run time, but ... I kind of like it. Maybe get them the new brighter Infinity, who has the best prices on it?

Considered picking up a few Inova X1's for them? I know they don't run as long as the gerbers but they do have a good runtime. They are currently on sale at batteryjunction.com...about $15 a thow.

CFU

mmace1

Enlightened
Not sure where you are in your decision making, but...

The X1 seems like a great light, but since it uses 123as, that makes it either very expensive, or somewhat inconvenient for them to get batteries.

I really like the idea of the maglite, especially since everyone in the general populus already respects the brand so much & is likely to use it. I say the magled as opposed to nighteyes. The magled already lasts a very, very long time already (22 hours to 50% with the 3D model, etc.), and it could be useful to have an actually bright light every once in awhile.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X1 seems like a great light, but since it uses 123as, that makes it either very expensive, or somewhat inconvenient for them to get batteries.

The X1 uses a single AA cell - You have possibly confused it with the T1 or X5.
thinking.gif

CFU

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you looking to give them something you already have or looking to spend a little?

Also, what's going to be the main usage, around the house or...?

adnj

Enlightened
If they are rural, the Mini Mag LED is probably more than they need. The old Mini Mag did a lot for me when I was on the farm. I think that a a D-cell is the better buy. Batteries aren't expensive and run forever. I could always get D's at Walmart on sale. Other than that, a long running, low power like the Nite Ize drop in or the X1 is great.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
to reiterate, here is the list thus far:

1. StreamLight Twin Task 2D
2. StreamLight Twin task 3AA
3. StreamLight Junior Lux. 2AA
4. Maglite LED 4D (NOt sure yet which module is better for them, the MagLED or Nite Ize)
5. Want to include a 1AA light but decided against Gerber Infinity (will keep the orig. version I got) but may get something else. Ideas? Although 2AA seems more practical in all ways. LightWave 2000 maybe?

6. 2 inexpensive headlamps, ideally AA. Possibly Lux/5mm but 5mm/Xenon is OK too.

And the Vanson charger I got, with some 10,000 MaH D Cells.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Giving them a charger and all the Nimh sizes they will use will go the farthest toward economizing.

The Mag LED is probably the best thrower, which they will need in an open, rural environment. A new style Inova X1 is probably the best 1AA for most people. Seems like you have just about all the bases covered, even some redundancy with two AA lights and looking to add two more.

etc said:
to reiterate, here is the list thus far:

1. StreamLight Twin Task 2D
2. StreamLight Twin task 3AA
3. StreamLight Junior Lux. 2AA
4. Maglite LED 4D (Not sure yet which module is better for them, the MagLED or Nite Ize)
5. Want to include a 1AA light but decided against Gerber Infinity (will keep the orig. version I got) but may get something else. Ideas? Although 2AA seems more practical in all ways. LightWave 2000 maybe?

6. 2 inexpensive headlamps, ideally AA. Possibly Lux/5mm but 5mm/Xenon is OK too.

And the Vanson charger I got, with some 10,000 MaH D Cells.

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened
My choice would be the Streamlight ProPoly 4aa lux. Fantastic throw, very white and long run time in a weather proof case at a reasonable price.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I keep asking this over and over again: what are they going to use these lights for?

Power outages? (long runtimes)
Checking house perimeter for critters? (incan with lots of throw)
For work at night? (headlamp)
Is it cold when they work outside? (lithium batts recommended)
Size of light/batteries? (AAA, AA, C, D)

Otherwise, you'll see us recommending away wildly, and your friends may end up with lights that aren't really suitable for their situation and needs.

Spordin

Enlightened
If it's for a small, cheap "survivalist" light, then the 1AA Gerber I.U. is the way to go. The X1 is also nice, but I've heard lithiums aren't recommended in that light (?). Lithium AA's are probably too expensive for their budget anyway, but it's nice to at least have the option of using them.

vic303

Enlightened
NiMh's and a pair of chargers--1 solar of decent quality & capacity, and the other electric, for when the grid is up. Then any lights that can be run on NiMh's and charged on the solar unit will be good.

mmace1

Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
The X1 uses a single AA cell - You have possibly confused it with the T1 or X5.
thinking.gif

CFU

Whoops...I read it as the XO

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give them a rechargeable light with throw! Choose either the streamlight Strion, Stinger or the Ultra-Stinger. LEDs SUCK big time in outdoor scenarios such as farms and other rural settlements. Incan is the only way to go, sorry.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Give them a rechargeable light with throw! Choose either the streamlight Strion, Stinger or the Ultra-Stinger. LEDs SUCK big time in outdoor scenarios such as farms and other rural settlements. Incan is the only way to go, sorry.
I have to disagree. My E2L is EXCELLENT outdoors. I get a LOT more runtime than similar models (such as the E2e) and I don't have a bulb that will break or burn out.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
etc said:
I have some friends who live rurally and really need some Lites. They are poor and cannot afford quality Lites.

Every survivalist should have an Inova 24/7.

It isn't a throw or flood champ but it does many things other lights can't.

It's magnetic mount, belt clip and headband let it serve several hands-free duties.

Andy

bitslammer

Enlightened
Boomerang said:
Every survivalist should have an Inova 24/7.

It isn't a throw or flood champ but it does many things other lights can't.

It's magnetic mount, belt clip and headband let it serve several hands-free duties.

Andy

I'd agree with this in that the 2 whote modes are very handy as if the red ngith vision mode. Doesn't sound like they'd get much use od any of the strobing/flash modes especially that silly SOS mode. If I'm lost it's going to be the slow strobe mode until I hear someone nearby then the 3 color to really get attention.

The other issue is that you'd need to buy RCR123s and a charger for them to be a long term help.

StuGatz

Enlightened
Have you considered the wind-up / solar rechargable style lights made by companies like freeplay?

I know of a group that handed some of these style lights and radios to some folks in an undeveloped area so that they would have some degree of light and radio reception.

Good luck.

Stuart