Cree XR-E's in transit for modding.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I managed to get these 2 bins:

10qty- XR7090WT-U1-WG-P2-0-0001 67.2-73.9 Lumens
24qty- XR7090WT-U1-WC-P3-0-0001 73.9-80.6 Lumens

Not the highest bins, but the best I could do for quick grabbing.
Still much better than the best Luxeons available.

Wow, can you imagine over 80 lumens coming out of a AAA form factor! My tiny little super driver will push well over 350mA's from a AAA NIMH cell for around 40 minutes!

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subscribing to see what the great MM can do with these LEDs.

EDIT: Hmm since you have so much experience with Fenix's is there a way to make it fit in a stock L2T/P? I'm curious to see what the beam pattern would be. Knowing how Fenix uses around 350ma it would be perfect.

Last edited:

CaLux

Newly Enlightened
Where did you order from ?
My supplier said that they can provide only 67.2~73.9 lumens level
and not sure when can ship out.
Do you receive those bulds all?

Calina

Enlightened
Isn't it crazy to push the batteries so much? IMO if a light cannot push its Lumens for at least a couple of hours, preferably three, it's over driven. Some might not agree!

Smoken Joe

Newly Enlightened
Calina said:
Isn't it crazy to push the batteries so much? IMO if a light cannot push its Lumens for at least a couple of hours, preferably three, it's over driven. Some might not agree!
Yup 15min is all some really need in a EDC. If you need more get a biger light than a AAA. I am interested too subscribing to thread. I cant wait to see what these things do also.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the Cree's have uber low VF (like 800ma @ 3.3v!!) that will help a lot with the driver and battery setup from 1.2v!

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Perfect.

These Cree XR-E's would be perfect for the perfect EDC.

AAA formfactor, NiMH Li-ION, and Alkaline/LiFe

And....A Potentiometer for a switch!
(well perhaps a voltage regulator thrown in as well...)

Just twist the cap and the ammount of light varies analog style!

1 - Lumen to whatever the batterys can stand.

80 lumens coming out of a AAA (NiMH right?)

Ok what about one of those AAA lithium ion recharheables?

:rock::wow:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calina said:

This is why my AAA mods are either 2-stage or 3-stage; so you have the option of getting 3-6 hours of runtime from the same light.

NIMH and primary lithium AAA cells can handle a lot of current draw for their size. Alkalines aren't suitable for high current draw circuits.

Most all NIMH cells regardless of size can handle 1C with no problem. I've used the Sayno AAA cells at as much as 3C with no ill effects and I was very suprized how well the capacity held up.

Chevrofreak did runtimes for my high power 3-stage LOP mod and it proved to be the brightest 1XAAA flashlight by a large margin. In this case my driver is drawing 1.6 amps from the cell or about 1.8C
Fenix%20L0P%20-%20Stock%20vs%20MillerMods.png

Fenix%20L0P%20Millermods%203%20stage%20vs%20Stock.png

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
MillerMods said:
I managed to get these 2 bins:

10qty- XR7090WT-U1-WG-P2-0-0001 67.2-73.9 Lumens
24qty- XR7090WT-U1-WC-P3-0-0001 73.9-80.6 Lumens

Not the highest bins, but the best I could do for quick grabbing.
Still much better than the best Luxeons available.

Wow, can you imagine over 80 lumens coming out of a AAA form factor! My tiny little super driver will push well over 350mA's from a AAA NIMH cell for around 40 minutes!

why settle for less MillerMods, you are known to have brightest in smallest form factors...
....ther's a group buy running for 100 Lumen LED's .... it would be even wonderful :)

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN said:
why settle for less MillerMods, you are known to have brightest in smallest form factors...
....ther's a group buy running for 100 Lumen LED's .... it would be even wonderful :)

I'm working on getting Q3's but the P3's were the easiest to get quickly when I looked into it. I can get prototyping done with the ones I'm getting. I should have them next week.

This will allow folks to get a good idea as to how much better these are than Luxeons though.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Cree discussions are everywhere. This going to be interesting. Just wondering whether the Cree is the answer to incandescent in term of side spill, dept of field, and colour rendition of nature?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing's for sure, it's going to kill every high power LED that we've seen so far. It's as efficient as a good flourescent! I have high hopes for tint quality with these.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN said:

I'm in on the group buy. Just a wait now.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been eyeballing my MillerMods L1P helmet light for another mod. First mod was a UWAJ LuxIII and it was brighter. Now to figure out how to stuff a larger diameter and taller McR19 reflector and XR-E on your board. Maybe a copper sleeve to extend the head and make it a little larger in diameter to hold the reflector.

Q3WC bin XR-E's at 1.7 watts from the MM regulator would be very interesting. Keep us posted on your latest developments as this is getting interesting.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
hmm I have the River Rock lantern and it does look very easily modable, think I'm up to 4 Crees on my order when the Q3 bin ships soon.