Sad Thread from Bladeforums [Walt Welch, R.I.P.]

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dr. Walt Welch (aka dr_play_time) was Member # 52 CPF.

Walt last posted on CPF on the 10th January 2002.
The number of posts he made, never very many, had diminished over the last while, I guess due to his increasingly poor health.

As a result of that, many newer members will not have heard of him.
He was one of the most highly-respected members of CandlePowerForums. His breadth and depth of Knowledge was/is a wonder. (I didn't always understand his posts ...... ) Many times on CPF, a meandering topic was answered by one of his essays. Often conclusively ......

His wit and humour, (and occasional irascibility !) will be missed greatly.

Many people were grateful to him for his generosity in giving away special-order Carley lamps for their Mag-Lites, his beloved torches. He sent these out to people for free, as a good relations gesture.
I had the pleasure of corresponding with him occasionally.

And here I quote:

"Don't worry about the cost. ... The main hassle about the Carley thing is that I hate to package stuff and label it and mail it. Besides, foreign orders have always been free. ......
Let me know if I have this [selection] right, and add whatever else you want. Walt"

My sympathies to his family, loved ones and friends.
Especially to his young son, Andrew Welch.

lightlover

[mikep, I've edited Walt's name into your chosen Topic Heading, to make it specific to him.]

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Goodbye Dr Walt.Everytime I fire up my 3 D cell Maglite with the Carley lamps you GAVE me,I will think about ya.
troy

Clay

Newly Enlightened
I will miss him. He was a knifeknutt and a flashaholic -- in short, he was one of us.

Ihave some of those Carley bulbs too, Troy. He never would let me pay for them.

WE'll miss you, Walt.

shootist16

Newly Enlightened
I am more active on bladeforums. Dr. Welch posted a lot there. He was a kind and wise man and I will miss him.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walt I think was the first poster I really got lots of good information when initially finding CPF last year - I exchanged some emails and posts with him and I´m lacking the words ...... this really was a fine gentleman in every aspect - and I´m shure he would have sent me those Carley bulbs he promissed last September if not he got so sick.

I emailed him after 9/11 when for a while his posts disappeared if he´s doing OK and I was very happy to see him post again earlier this month.

I´m sorry that he passed away and I wish his family and friends all the best - I guess there are lots of knifes and flashlights they will have to serve as memories.

As (american) english isn´t my mother language I´m lacking the right words for such an occasion - but my thoughts and prayers are with Walt - he will be missed.

Klaus

Spidey82

Enlightened
Well, we sure miss him.
all his knowledge that he pump in to this forum, hoping to make someone understand more abt light, and his kindness of supplying carley to whoever needs it.
He even offer to sent some to me (Singapore)F.O.C

with respect to Dr. Walt
Linfeng