Where's the spam?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't gotten any spam e-mails in several days. For the last couple of months I had gotten several e-mails a day about loans. Every conceivable kind of loan you could think of, judging by the e-mail subjects.

Has anyone else stopped getting spam?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Your spam must be the one piling up into one of my accounts. No amount of filtering seems to stop crap from accumulating into that account.

jtice

Flashaholic
I have a Sh*tload in my inbox every damn day,
gimme your addy, I'll forward it all to you. :ironic:

~John

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
dsc01606small6dj.jpg

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was curious because I installed the new and improved McAfee a week ago. It decided to do a complete scan of all my hard drives. It found and removed the W32/Lovgate.u@MM virus in my I.E. It's a worm that spreads by e-mail. As far as I know it's the only computer infection I ever had.

It may be a coincidence but the spam stopped that day, or possibly a day or two earlier.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I noticed a pretty large reduction in spam in the last week or two myself. Until about two years ago my Yahoo account was only getting a few spams a month. Gradually that increased to at least three or four a day. On bad days I was getting ten or more. The amount always seemed to increase on weekends (as if people have nothing to do but read spams when they're not working). The last week or two it's been down to one or two a day.

Maybe they finally arrested a few high-profile spammers. I heard that a hard-core group of less than one hundred people account for 99% of the spam generated in the world. Given that this number is so small, and I'm sure law enforcement knows exactly who they are, I don't see why the problem is so intractable. Make arrests, have it on the evening news, throw the book at these people with very long prison sentences. If/when they get out, prohibit them from owning a computer or having an Internet connection for life as part of their terms of release. The message would get across to anyone else thinking of a "career" in spamming. Given the shady nature of the products sold, does anyone actually even bother reading these messages let alone ordering anything because of them? I find it amazing that enough people do so to make continued spamming worthwhile. Maybe all ISPs should charge per email once you're over a certain reasonable amount (say 1000 messages per month). This would quickly kill the economics of spamming.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Yahoo mail also and I wondered if maybe their spam filter got smarter. I don't see much in the bulk folder though.

Yes, I used to get the ***** enlargement stuff too. But the last spam I got is dated October 20. My best theory is that an asteroid hit the earth on the 20th, and I'm the only one left. I can't explain the replies I'm getting to my posts though :)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your email provider tries to fight SPAM your volume will fall and rise as both side's tactics will be in a constant state of change. If your volume seems to just keep getting worse and worse your account is just a SPAM trap and your provider is trying to herd you into a premium account for more money.

The Best is pretty cheap and has a feature set that no one else even comes close to.

SPAM Fried Rice

Last edited: