Any Way to Make Rayovac Sportsman 4AA Head-Lite Brighter?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Has anybody done anything to one of these headlamps to make it brighter? Different bulbs, batteries, etc. I'm very unimpressed with the light output of this headlamp. For a 4AA light, it seems that it should be brighter. The bulb and light output is very yellowish and dull. Any suggestions appreciated.

On the other hand, for $9, what should I expect?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have any info on the bulb? There should be a voltage and current rating.

Anyway you should be able to "upgrade" the light with a more powerful bulb. A Carley xenon bulb should be slightly brighter.

If you think the headlight can stand a bit of extra heat, a standard HPR-50 halogen bulb will be A LOT brighter but will most probably kill AA alkalines pretty quickly. NiMH rechargeables would last a lot longer.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tec 40 was greatly improved by useing 4 NiMhi and a Krypton bulb for a 3D light.May need some WrightRight on the lens to smooth out the beam. TX

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is a screw base.
i did a 4 led mod on mine within an hour of getting it.an ls would be nice in there too.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It's been a long time since this thread died, but I still haven't messed with my Rayovac headlamp. Now, I'd like to get a new bulb to see if I can make it brighter, and I think I'll try some of that wrightright stuff.

Anyway, the bulb that is in the headlamp is a PR type, screw base krypton bulb. The bulb is rated 4.8V, 0.5A. Any more ideas on what type of bulb I could use to make this light brighter?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
See if you can find a screw in base krypton bulb for a 3D light. Then get 4 rechargeables. It works great with the standard PR base bulbs. TX

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always mod it with a Luxeon Star.. I modded a Ray-o-vac kid's headlight, and it is much brighter & more useful even underdriven at 3V. With 4 AA's you should have a pretty awsome run time.

Latest posts