Home steamer vacs, do they work?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I was at Walmart, looking for stick vacs, I saw some steamer vacs ranging in price from $100 to $300. Do they work, especially at the lower price range? When I first moved into my condo, I rented a steamer vac from Home Depot but that was before I moved in furniture. Since then I thought it might be nice to clean up the traffic areas of my carpet where there isn't permanent furniture but didn't think it was worth it to actually go out and rent a steam vac again. Do you guys use any of the home steamer vacs and what are your results?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a Bissell Pro Steam Vacuum where I find it totally worth owning especially having to remove stains from the carpet caused by spills from food and drinks, shoe mark stains, etc. Plus the carpet feels clean when you walk on it barefoot.
geepondy said:
While I was at Walmart, looking for stick vacs, I saw some steamer vacs ranging in price from $100 to $300. Do they work, especially at the lower price range? When I first moved into my condo, I rented a steamer vac from Home Depot but that was before I moved in furniture. Since then I thought it might be nice to clean up the traffic areas of my carpet where there isn't permanent furniture but didn't think it was worth it to actually go out and rent a steam vac again. Do you guys use any of the home steamer vacs and what are your results?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a demo Hoover off Ebay for $100 shipped. It's more them paid for itself. The new models with the tanks on the sides look really nice. :sold:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've got a Hoover Steamvac, the one with the spin-scrub brushes on the bottom front end. Yes, it works very well. Very, VERY well! These things are invaluable to a home, especially one with pets that throw up (or worse....). Works great on stains, everything! You won't believe the amount of dirt that will come out of your carpet!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't believe the amount of dirt that will come out of your carpet!

What he said...
sick2.gif

A good investment

CFU

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We have the Hoover Steam Vac and it's great!

If you care about your carpet, a couple other GREAT items to have on hand are "Quick n Brite" cleaner and some of those super absorbent chamois you see sold at fairs & such. I imagine they are available on the WWW /eBay as well.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the lower end Bissel units. It is fine for small spots / cat urine, etc.

It is useful to remember that the "steamers" are not able to remove ALL of the detergent from your carpet (including the van mounted ones). The remaining detergent dries, and continues to collect soil very efficiently into your carpet. This is a very useful feature for those in the carpet cleaning business, as it is certain to generate repeat business.

We have switched to using only hot water for carpet cleaning, using a drop or two of detergent only on spots. It has helped a lot.

It takes a surprising amount of hot water to actually clean a carpet (with or without detergents) so if you are wanting to actually clean a large area, volume water handling is important.

adnj

Enlightened
None of the home units work as well as the Rug Doctor rentals that are in good shape. I have a top of the line Hoover and it is worth it. You'll have it for 10 years and will be able to do high traffic areas as often as necessary.

It's better to clean a more often than to wait. Besides, more steamer has the hard floor attachment that I use instead of mopping.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN said:
I have one of the lower end Bissel units. It is fine for small spots / cat urine, etc.

It is useful to remember that the "steamers" are not able to remove ALL of the detergent from your carpet (including the van mounted ones). The remaining detergent dries, and continues to collect soil very efficiently into your carpet. This is a very useful feature for those in the carpet cleaning business, as it is certain to generate repeat business.

We have switched to using only hot water for carpet cleaning, using a drop or two of detergent only on spots. It has helped a lot.

It takes a surprising amount of hot water to actually clean a carpet (with or without detergents) so if you are wanting to actually clean a large area, volume water handling is important.

I always first use the Steamvac detergent, then go over the same area with hot water once or twice to remove the detergent.