Space needle or buy?

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm was thinking of building a space needle using the following from Lite mania surplus sale,

Lux-V LS WW0T : 23$ each

Hotlips M*g D, HotBeam : 10$ each

2 off 3AA to 1D Battery Holder : 3$ each =$6

Total: $39, = £20.50

Add a 2D mag host : Approx £15, brings the complete total to approx £35.

My question: is it worth doing?

What other torches could you buy for £35 ($74), and how would they compare to the above spaceneedle?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck yes it is worth it.

http://darkgear.com/mrbulk/sn2build.htm
Is the site to go to to learn how to do this.

Just do it.
Next time stick a regulator into the mix. Maybe use a lux III they are cheaper and brighter than LUX V's. Don't get me worng. I love lux V lights. I just happen to like the LUX III in this mod. Light Saber like beam is what comes to mind.
Go For It!
Yaesumofo

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my SN clone. I have a WYOS with a DB 917 in a 2C run off 2 18500's. In fact it's one of my favorite lights. Amazingly bright, good run time, and in a light easy to handle package.

I think you'd like it very much. I would however factor in a driver. Yes there is some resistance in the switch and such. How much?? I don't know. Maybe one of our resident electronics gurus will chime in with that info.

Bottom line.. are there nice lights to be had for around $75? Yes. Can any of them give you the same sense of pride of one that you made yourself? Nope, not to me. I say go for it. If you don't like it you can easily sell it for what you have in it.

MM

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the advice guys, you have convinced me to go ahead with a space needle type project. I need to do a bit more reading first, lots to read!

I wonder what a Cree XR-E would be like in a space needle?

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will have more satisfaction using a light YOU made rather than one you bought. Cree XR-E looks like the next hot lick.
mho
C

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Yes, it is worth doing. Much better if you build your own. However, I rather have a regulated driver in there so that you can get not only max level, but adjustability as well. My top recommendation for a driver is the new bFlex from TaskLED (George). I just finished one of my custom McG45 lights using this driver and I can say first hand that it is a great driver for a 5W LED light in a 2C package. Since you would be using a standard heat sink, your install would be much easier than on my McG45, but you can see here, post #34 about how to modify the switch (for momentary ON, which is needed for the bFLex) and #60 for construction details ;)

Will

Last edited: