Want a bike...What's the best bang for the buck?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

Part of my new year's resolution... OK! it was LAST year's :ohgeez: is to shave some weight of my belly and after thinking most of the year how to start, I decided to take up recreational cycling. After going to my local WM and target stores, I see that there are tons to choose from.

What would be the best bang for the buck in a mountain bike?, I would mostly be doing parks and an ocasional trail, I may see some mountain trails when going to in-law's house.

Say about $150 - $250 range, with the most bells and whistles included, and not counting related safety gear (Helmet, etc).

Where is a good place to buy? Online or B&M?

Thanks!
AlexGT

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
my suggestion - spend a little more, go to a bike store, or get a good used bike off ebay. The bikes you find at the places like Target, WalMart etc. are generally heavy. They also tend to require a lot of attention to keep them running well. adjust the brakes, keep the gears shifting correctly and all that.

I have an old Schwinn 10 speed that I have using for around 20 years now. It has been completely rebuilt once already, probably at around 10,000 miles or so. This was not a very expensive bike. But when I want to ride, I just get on it and go, no fiddling around with anything before I leave.

Two other items to get. Helmet - I took one spill in the rain, slid about 25 feet on my head, The helmet got scratched, one small nick on my chin, like a shaving cut. AND - a good pair of padded bike shorts. Go for a ride of an hour or so and - well- your butt will get sore in places that shouldn't be hurting..

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Trek bikes seem to hold up very well. My 15 yr. old 830 mountain model still performs like new with minimal maintenance. It has no suspension. I must admit, though, the dual suspension models with front disc brakes at Target and WalMart look interesting. Seems like the components are all Shimano on the midpriced models. I'd check out a bike store first where you can get some good advice and maybe a better deal than you think.

Geoff

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told by a bike store sales clerk that Gary Fisher and Trek were made by the same company, but that with Gary Fisher, you get better componants for around the same price.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
will said:
my suggestion - spend a little more, go to a bike store, or get a good used bike off ebay. The bikes you find at the places like Target, WalMart etc. are generally heavy. They also tend to require a lot of attention to keep them running well. adjust the brakes, keep the gears shifting correctly and all that.
i totally agree this last crismas i got a nice looking bike from T@rget and to tell you the truth it is a total peice of sh!t it came with a bent wheel then about a weak later the gear shift cable slid off so the was very very hard to get back on so they look nice but they are total crap my advise spend a little more money just like surefire and get the better product i personaly would go for a TREK oh that just reminds me they tried to make this bikes name sound like trek but its spelled triax.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know $300 or so will get you a decent lower end hybrid from a well known manufacturer but is that still too low of a price to get a mountain bike? From AlexGT's stated intent, I think a hybrid might be better anyhow. I ride mine in reasonably rough terrain such as crappy dirt roads and fire trails, sort of everything but true off road and single track.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies so far, keep em coming! I really want a bike to get my butt in shape again, I used to ride a lot when I was in my early 20's (15 years ago) and really enjoyed it, but then work, marriage and kids got in the way...

I dont plan to race or do dumb stunts, just want a comfortable, dependable ride to go out with the kids and wife on or off road.

I am thinking about a full suspension bike

AlexGT

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not going to spend close to $1000, DO NOT buy a full suspension bike. Anything else would probably give you migrains. :rant:

The fact that you used to ride 'a lot' some time ago tells me that in time, you'll probably soon be riding a lot again. As mentioned above, SPEND MORE MONEY. I'm sure you're used to it by now being a member here for 5+ years :). Really, for someone who has potential, I usually recommend something arround $400-500.

Buy your bike from a bike shop. Their knowledge and experience is almost priceless. Marin, specialized, trek, garyfisher, Kona, jamis, giant, etc are all good brands. I doubt Haro makes hard core bikes but I've seen some of their budget bikes and they don't seem too bad.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a good price on a decent bike the guys at mtbr.com recommend internet-sales-only Ibex. This could be a good choice near your price range:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-450-Details.html

Check this forum too

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I had a similar need this year and ended up with a Gary Fisher Marlin for about $500. I tried to like the $300 bike shop bikes, but what ended up selling me onthe Marlin was the fork. It was dramaticly better than the forks speced on the cheaper bikes, and I'm so glad I went that route. Buying a decent fork after the fact would have cost nearly as much as the bike. The Ibex 550 has a very similar fork to the one I've got.

Some tips:

1. Get a bike shop bike. Avoid dept stores
2. Don't get a full suspension bike. They are wierd to ride on the street and you won't get good parts in your price range.

Last edited:

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Go to mtbr.com for lots of information and reviews!

However, do try to avoid a full-suspension bike. Even if you can afford a good one, you may not be using the extra rear suspension as its intended. Pedalling efficiency on flat surfaces and especially uphills is usually reduced with almost any such bike.

Edit: Oops... Just saw what the guy above posted. As you can see, we're offering pretty much the same advice!

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang! So many bikes to choose from! Thanks for the forum links, need to start reading up on the new bikes. So far I think I'll leave the dept. stores alone and go to a dedicated bike store to check the inventories, It's starting to sound like buying a car LOL! I'll probably go test ride some with full suspension and with front suspension and get a feel for them and check user ratings and reviews. There goes my flashlight money!

Thanks!
AlexGT

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the above posters stated, avoid the full suspension mountain bikes. The riding you are doing does not need the added weight, complexity, power reduction and cost of a rear shock.

Myself, I ride a fully suspended recumbent. My rear suspension is set-up very stiffly with a 850 lb spring and does not bob up and down when pedaling. It will move if I hit a pothole though... I wanted rear suspension for some rough roads I ride over and occasional off-roading. Can't stand up on a 'bent and I am too stupid to realize you are not supposed to ride them off-road :) Mine is a special case on a very specific design. If I could stand up, I would of skipped rear suspension. Front suspension is very good on the rough stuff, it keeps the front wheel planted increasing safety and control.

Now, if you plan on gonzo off-roading--rear suspension will help you but it won't be up to gonzo level unless you spend some bucks on the bike. For 90% of the people out there riding MTBs, they don't need rear suspension.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having a nice ride will also motivate you to be on it. Not only that, shifting and feel (when properly fitted) will make rides enjoyable. A good Local Bike Shop/LBS is invaluable for service and support...the mass stores you are hung out to dry basically.

Props tor you in motivating yourself to make this change. :)

I began cycling in college. While saddle time has tapered off I still enjoy the quick jaunts down the river trails for some quiet time by myself.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other item here - make sure you get a bike that fits, the dept store will sell you anything, A bike store is more likely to make sure you get the right size frame.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a major cycling nut. Used to work in a bikeshop even. PM me and I'll give you my phone number. I have a different perspective then most bike nuts, as I don't race or care to. Sort of like prefering flood and efficiency vs throw and brightness.

- Don't buy from a big box store, the bikes are mostly crap and often dangerous. Go to a good Bicycle shop. You will probably need to spend $300-$400 (for Dorcy quality). Frankly I would recommend around $600-$800 (maglite quality) because thats where the real values are. You would need to spend over $1200 for Fenix quality. If you want surefire quality I have a used frameset for sale for $1000 you will need to drop another grand for the parts.

- This is a good time of year to buy. The best time though is after the holidays but before spring when you can get a deal on last years models.

- Used bikes can be a great deal but more often than not need 100's of dollars worth of repair. Unless you know what you are doing I would avoid this.

- Some of the off brands are a better deals than Trek and Specialized. Kona, Fuji, Jamis make some nice models without you having to pay for there race sponsership and advertising budget. The Jamis Coda comes to mind as a good buy. Its often on sale at Perfomance stores.

-Schwinn sold the name ages ago and mostly produces crap for walmart nowdays.

-Join a online bike group that has a recreational bent. Here is a link to the best. Read the archives or join and ask questions. http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/internet-bob

Last edited: